Security of Personal Data - Clound Based Virus Scanning?

boleyd

Since the users of Orbx seem to be tuned into the latest overall web stuff I thought this maight be a good place to ask a question regadring the Cloud Virus Scanning software.

I am using Avria virus protection software. I received a notice that they are now offering cloud based virus scanning. I am not inclined to use this since the scanner apparently has total visibility of all of my files. Yes, they have a privacy policy but they are completely worthless and only express a philosophy and offer no customer recourses.

Given that many here are probably savvy about these cloud based programs I am looking for opinions on what could be taken from my computer and sent to the vendor's servers. Once that stuff is there any savvy disgruntled employee could steal the data and sell it to any one of the all to many crooks that prowl the net.

Should any cloud based virus scanners be avoided given the ir ability to look at everything I have on my computer?

First thing to check is if your cloud host scans files, if it does and actively then i should not worry to much about using 3rd party scanners, besides all the files you download from the service should be scanned by your anti virus app.

If you are not a buisness and only a home user, all you need for your protection, is to your have your Firewall on and download a free file from Microsoft called "security essentials".

These 2 will give all the cover you need and not slow your computer as other security programs do.

"Security Essentials" looks for all the latest viruses and malware, you also update it for free each month, so that the very latest virus killer's etc., are placed at you fingers..

Why pay others for someting that is free..

Also take Maurice's advice above...

I wouldn't trust any of the programs.. but the actual services them self for storage be it via Amazon or Microsoft are pretty safe. 6 trillion objects, what are the chances they'll find yours? And besides you should ALWAYS use encryption, that's the trick to it all.

As a hacker once said, there is no such thing as internet security. If you are on the internet, and you computer is on, no matter what security you have on your pc it is not secure. But that like technology is something we have to live with.

Archived