FTX Airport Elevation issues?

boleyd

It seems like elevation issues at some airports are not uncommon. Is there really some simple answer to fix this?

I have my problem at 77S but also at 1Wa6. Latest 120509 library at top of Scenery Manager list

Re-downloaded and installed both airports. Made sure I was in North America.

Reinstalled library after airport install although that did not make sense to me.

I have seen several reports of elevations problems but never paid any attention since I was ok. I thought the common issue was the library install and at top priority but....

HI boleyd,

77S has an elevation change file "ADE_FTX_PNW_77S_elevation_adjustment" that's located in your FSX: Scenery/World/Scenery folder. If the elevation files get out of kilter they will cause this issue. First please cycle "FTX Central" from North America to Default and back again. That way we know that the elevation files in Scenery/World/Scenery should all be active (ie: not end with suffix .OFF). Next look at the 77S elevation file in Scenery/World/scenery and make sure that it is 1) present and 2) doesn't have the suffix .OFF, actually NONE of the ADE_FTX_PNW_xxxx should have the .OFF suffix. Remove the .OFF from the 77S file (if it's there) for immediate use but come back here for help with the real issue.

Cheers, Neil

Well the problem was the ADE elevation file for 77S was missing along with several other files. P3D was ok so I just copied its folder over to scenery/world/scenery. Now FSX is ok. I never knew that ORBX was placing folders in that folder.I have no idea why files were missing but I want to fly not tinker.

Thanks!

Hi boleyd,

Great, glad to see you got the issue fixed. All change of elevation files go into that Scenery/World/Scenery and as you probably noticed there a bunch of them. Most real world airports are not flat, actually some have large elevation changes but FSX only allows flat airports so we often have to change elevations to allow a reasonable looking airport ( kind of split the difference so the surrounding flattens aren't so noticeable).

As far as why files go missing I have no idea but you're not the first one to get bit by it.

All's well that ends well, go fly!!

Cheers, Neil

I have spent a lot of time with non-flat runways in FSX. If I can get a really good photo-real file for an airport I used the natural runway. Just maybe our new friends at Lockheed Martin will be able to remove the "flat" restriction. Given the goal of a quality professional simulator the continuing use of only flat runways may harm sales.

Archived