Unalakleet, Alaska

BroncoBilly

Anyone else find themselves flying out of Unalakleet lately driving a Caravan?

Haven't seen tv in years then I discovered Flying Wild Alaska freely streamed from... to my computer screen.

Of course I had to retrace Gann's routes also, in a DC2, after reading "Fate is the Hunter". As I recall (from a dimming memory) he headed out across the Andes and across thousands of miles the amazon on basically dead reckoning to a fuel stop "near a river" on one of the first flights on such a route

Yea, that distraction cost me a day or two...The airport is great, but I had to get all kinds of interesting traffic coming and going, once i discovered there were all kinds of aircraft repaints available also, and of course a Coast Guard 130 has to visit it once in a while.... Paints available for the Caravans, 1900, Sherpa, and the learjet is fantasy I believe along with a couple others....

Now there it is, a fun place to practice crosswinds.

I was quite surprised to discover the Yukon River just over the hill from Unalakleet. I was suddenly confronted with my lack of basic geography of Alaska. Of course I had to follow it both ways. That was a project, and an education realizing how it cuts Alaska in half. What a treat that trip would be with enhanced scenery and orbx style airports along the way.

Of course...

I am a new pilot with my own plane. I can reach Ketchikan in a single hop from my home airport 0S9 (Jefferson County). First leg to Ketchikan is 35 gallons of aviation fuel, which is how I consider the cost of a real flight! I think I smell an adventure brewing..I better start saving my allowance ^-^

Archived