Work experience ain't always bad :)

Nick

Hey guys

Just got of the phone to the West Australian Helicopter Academy organizing my work experience for the coming week

work experience is a mandatory year 12 graduation requirement and most people within my year group have gone for something like working in a retail store

or child care center's etc. I have decided on a career in the armed forces when i leave school, preferably flying helicopters. As such i have decided on doing my work experience with Heliwest, im driving out to jandakot this monday from mandurah to be there by 8, (6 o'clock train ride guhh :() then i do my induction and we fly out to a helipad at burswood and i get a light education in loading and flying a helicopter out there. :)

Ill be sure to post pics monday arvo

Nick

Do you good at public speaking? Do you know how to articulate yourself and your thoughts? Do you handle high pressure situations well? Are you studying physics and advanced maths at school?  :-X

I only ask these questions as becoming a pilot of any craft in the forces is a tough tough gig to get into, second to that, if failing to get pilot, you can apply for navigator, where by they still teach you to fly :)

great work experience gig sounds a hell of a lot of fun, I myself fly GA planes, but will not step foot in a chopper, they are inherently our of control and downright scare the pant off me :)  :o  ;D

Congrats mate, enjoy every minute of it...

I have fond memories of doing a couple of stints of work experience with the Air Cadets at 2FTS (YPEA) spending as much time as possible at the SAR flight.  Lucky my CWO was a mate and he assigned me to the SAR flight on a regular basis.  Loved those old Hueys...

Cheers,

thanks guys

i've taken physics at school but not advanced maths, just discrete maths.  ;), funny you ask about the public speaking though, i did speeches all throughout being school captain for my last 2 1/2 years of high school and i won two awards outside of school for it, good feeling being able to do it

@maxter, i would kill to fly a huey mate, my favourite helicopter(cliche'd as it is :P)

Nick

Mate that's awesome  ;D

I was extremely lucky to do work experience with the blackhawks up in Townsville. It was the coolest thing ever. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face as we landed at a school where the pilot made me give a talk to the students there about chasing want you really want. It is something I will never forget and I really hope you make the most of the opportunity that you get  ;)

Cheers

Hugh

work experience was great for me, i did mine 2 years ago at Flight Training Adelaide at YPPF. Did a few 777 simulator rides, carried out basic maintenance. wasn't all good however, spent like 8 hours updating jeppesen manuals. :-\

Good luck with yours mate and have a good time.

Hey there Nick

One thing I must warn you about is the fact that the military will teach you a whole new way to do things even

though you may be qualified in the civilian world. Trust me me on this as I served 22 yrs with the RAAF and they won't

have changed their ways. But go for it anyway and DO NOT VOLUNTEER FOR ANYTHING.......... :o  :o

Archived