Wringing out the FTX Extra over YLIL

linden

yeah, didnt think i would reply, but that was good fun, some very nice angles, i especially liked the one where the plane drifts left to right then back again with a roll in the middle, it truly looked like a real bit of footage to me.

Thanks a lot for the comments. For the inflight shots, I recorded a straight and level flight in FSRecorder, saved it, then went back, played that flight "as traffic", flew another flight in formation just behind the "traffic" and recorded it. Then I just played both flights back together at the same time and used the "tail" camera of the straight and level plane to film the other plane. This is the only way I've figured out so far to really disconnect a spot-type camera from the airplane. To pan around I use the freeware EZdok camera utility which has a nice "mouselook" feature that works a lot better than Shift-O in the sim (ie doesn't stop panning when the cursor hits the side of the screen). That EZdok program also lets you set up one tower-type camera that you can walk around freely with and place anywhere and also allows you to move around in a VC with trackir type movements using just a keyboard and a mouse. Really cool little program, here's the link for the download: http://disk.tom.ru/l28n2ty

Three things to keep in mind if you use the program: 1) When you hit the "place camera here" button you have to close flight sim and restart it before the position takes effect.  2) If you're flying in an area far away from where the external camera is  positioned and happen to cycle through that camera view, when you get back to the virtual cockpit all the textures will have been reset and you'll have to wait for them to load again.  I get around this by just right-clicking and manually selecting my views rather than cycling through all of them when I'm not using the EZdok camera.  3)  If you're using FSRecorder, during playback the camera movement keyboard controls for the EZdok external camera are the same as the fast-forward and rewind keys for FSRecorder (left and right arrows) so the replay gets all screwed up if you try to move the camera around during playback (not to mention the airplane disappears).  So just position the camera before playing the recording.

Archived