Helicopter Crash in Terrace BC, kills all onboard

marshkop

Horrible news this morning.

'All three people aboard a helicopter that went down west of Terrace, B.C., died in the crash, the BC Coroners service says.

The Joint Rescue and Co-ordination Centre in Victoria said it received an automated crash beacon from the helicopter just after 9 a.m. PT.

Search and rescue officials dispatched a Buffalo aircraft and a Cormorant helicopter from 442 Squadron in Comox, along with a local ground crew to the scene.

The helicopter belongs to Bailey Helicopters of Fort St. John, confirms company partner Peter Scheiwiller. He told CBC three pilots were aboard one of their ASTAR helicopters for a training flight this morning when the helicopter crashed.

The company recently opened a base in Terrace, according to local operators.

The helicopter's beacon, which is designed to go off automatically during a crash, reported the site was 14 kilometres west of Terrace on a ridge on the back side of Sleeping Beauty Mountain.

The ASTAR helicopter is a single-engine, five-person aircraft manufactured by Aerospatiale. It is known as an AS350 in Europe. ' CBC News

http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/helicopter-crash-kills-3-near-terrace-bc

I'm suprised that we've never had any bad accidents here, the ASTARS here run in the same and worse conditions carrying tourists and mine employees everywhere, and I've never heard of a crash, except for an on-airport engine fire. It gets pretty bad here in the Southeast, and the mountains and bad visibility just make it worse (I'll take the first part back, my friend's dad had to autorotate while he was helicopter logging by the Taku river, but it was a tail-rotor failure).

And my condolences to the people's families, it's hard to loose a loved one.

Archived