Mustang OR Spitfire?

gibo

I thought that I would start a friendly debate as to which aircraft is the master of them all. The Mustang OR the Spitfire.

Anybody entering the debate can post as many screenshots OR videos as they like so long as it inlcudes ORBX scenery and either one of the 2 subject aircraft.

There are some worthy Gentlemen and ladies on both sides of the Atlantic and those in between such as myself that have a taste of both worlds.

Here is an introductory video of my favourite aircraft. But then again, the Spitfire is rather nice :unsure:

They both share the same engine!

This is a squadron of factory fresh Mustangs taking off from a coastal airstrip (aka Coffs Harbour) shorltly after the end of WW2.

[media]http://youtu.be/TIYttRTcB88?hd=1

Cheers,

Norm

Happy to contribute. :) Have flown both many enjoyable hours in sims, the Spitfire edging out the Mustang for preference.

Here's my custom-painted contraprop racer flying between Concrete & Stark's about a year ago...

Posted Image

Posted Image

.Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So let's show a few for the other side:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

as for the debate, I always thought that the Mustang could do what the Spitfire could, but could do it for quite a few hours more than the Spit.

For me as a repainter, the Mustang is much more fun, all those wild colours. A Spit, in general, is grey and green or brown and green...

The Spit and P51 are not mutually exclusive, us simmers have the best of both worlds and can swap midair to suit changing conditions.

The Australian city of Darwin was bombed many times, and unfortunately the spits supplied for the defence had no warming air ducts in the wings to prevent the cannons freezing, which occurred as a matter of course above 20 grand, so the pilots had to rely on the machine guns.

I started life as A Spit fan but when I started simming I found I like the "office " of the mustang much better . I haven't taken the SPit up for a long time , so I gave it ago . Beautiful !! ..I think Im back to being a Spit fan again but then ...As Bill said _ the Mustang and Spit are not mutually exclusive :)

Posted Image

The Spit and P51 are not mutually exclusive, us simmers have the best of both worlds and can swap midair to suit changing conditions.

The Australian city of Darwin was bombed many times, and unfortunately the spits supplied for the defence had no warming air ducts in the wings to prevent the cannons freezing, which occurred as a matter of course above 20 grand, so the pilots had to rely on the machine guns.

I read in a book "Killer Clive Caldwell" where bottles of beer were put in the gun bays (I can't remember whether it was a Spitfire or Kittyhawk) and the aircraft flown to a certain altitude to chill the beer.

Cheers,

Norm

I found this on armyairforces.com:

"In the lighter moments of World War II, the Spitfire was used in an unorthodox role: bringing beer kegs to the men in Normandy. During the war, the Heneger and Constable brewery donated free beer to the troops. After D-Day, supplying the invasion troops in Normandy with vital supplies was already a challenge. Obviously, there was no room in the logistics chain for such luxuries as beer or other types of refreshments. Some men, often called sourcers, were able to get wine or other niceties from the land or rather from the locals. RAF Spitfire pilots came up with an even better idea.

The Spitfire Mk IX was an evolved version of the Spitfire, with pylons under the wings for bombs or tanks. It was discovered that the bomb pylons could also be modified to carry beer kegs. According to pictures that can be found, various sizes of kegs were used. Whether the kegs could be jettisoned in case of emergency is unknown. If the Spitfire flew high enough, the cold air at altitude would even refresh the beer, making it ready for consumption upon arrival.

A variation of this was a long-range fuel tank modified to carry beer instead of fuel. The modification even received the official designation Mod. XXX. Propaganda services were quick to pick up on this, which probably explains the official designation.

As a result, Spitfires equipped with Mod XXX or keg-carrying pylons were often sent back to Great Britain for maintenance or liaison duties. They would then return to Normandy with full beer kegs fitted under the wings. The Spitfire had very little ground clearance with the larger beer kegs.

Typically, the British Revenue of Ministry and Excise stepped in, notifying the brewery that they were in violation of the law by exporting beer without paying the relevant taxes. It seems that Mod. XXX was terminated then, but various squadrons found different ways to refurbish their stocks. Most often, this was done with the unofficial approval of higher echelons.

In his book, Dancing in the Skies, Tony Jonsson, the only Icelander pilot in the RAF, recalled beer runs while he was flying with 65 Squadron. Every week a pilot was sent back to the UK to fill some cleaned-up drop tanks with beer and return to the squadron. Jonsson hated the beer runs as every man on the squadron would be watching you upon arrival. Anyone who made a rough landing and dropped the tanks would be the most hated man on the squadron for an entire week."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, I like the spit better but thats just a matter of taste.

i made a video about Diamond Point and the A2A Spit. I had posted it here but here is the link again :)
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAgCiFTYGXA&list=UUNBXNoaWXnZp7WRLfRVIOOA&index=6&feature=plcp

Archived