Just got PacFj, need help decision making...

PiperFM

So, I just made my first FTX purchase and got Pacific Fjords and PAKT (Great products, was there two weeks ago, and it passes inspection). ;) Now I'm wondering, I'm going exploring from Ketchikan and flying down to explore some of my new purchase, and I was wondering what airplane I should take. What would you take?

Carenado C172, 182RG, PA-28, SkyU P-38, IRIS P-40, F-14, A-10, C-27, RAZBAM A-7, VS F6F, SBD, TBD, Aerosoft Seahawk/Jayhawk, and acceleration aircraft. I was thinking maybe my 182RG, with it's better range and slightly better speed than the 172 (it's not a Ferrari, but it's not a Civic, more like a V6 Mustang/Camaro, the perfect speed).

Thanks!

Piper

Do you want the "safety" of two engines? Go for the Carenado Cessna C337H Skymaster. It's just a BIG version of the 182RG albeit with a "spare engine in the boot". It flys slow when you want it to and fast when you need to "get there" - top speed cruise ~ 170kts. Lovely aircraft.

I've thought about getting that one, but I just spent the money I was going to use on it on FTX stuff. ;) I've decided I might as well use the RG as it's slow enough to see the sights, but not so slow as to need more than one playing session to complere a flight. ;) Thanks though, and I'll post a topic with pics and a description of my adventure soon. :)

Piper

Hello,

There are mainly seaplanes bases in PFJ, and around Ketchikan.

I use the default FSX Beaver, the Beaver from Aerosoft ( amphib. version), Carenado Cessna C185F Bush (Amphib-Sky-Tundra, a must to have), Lionheart Kodiak, Premier Aircraft Turbo Otter (Float), Premier Aircraft Seabee, Grumman Goose modified by OzX. Most of these airplanes are really used there, by Air operators such as Promech Air, Taquan Air, Carlin Air, Pacific Airways, Pirate Airworks, based at Ketchikan harbour.

I suggest, also to take a look at Return to Misty Moorings, to add some really and fictitious locations ( cabins, airstrips, lodges...)

http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/

Cheers,

Xavier

Hello Piper,

Great area you have bought I would like to recommend Misty Moorings website to you, they are a great bunch of guys who make add-ons and flights for the PFJ area. It will give you hours of fun and challenging flying.

Ian.

I definitely agree with grabbing the bits from Misty Moorings and I'm going to add that this (http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=birds+in+pfj&CatID=root&Go=Search) file is a must have as well. A quick google says that it may even have been made by another FTX forum member! PFJ is on a whole new level when you have birds flying around.

Anyway, to actually give you an answer to the question, flying the default Beaver around is great in PFJ with the amount of float-bases in the area but if you already have the Cara 172 then I've been recommended the float package for it as a good trainer/sightseeing aircraft and that seems to be only a few dollars from every reseller. Personally though, I'd say spend a little on the LHC Kodiak when payday comes around...absolutely brilliant aircraft for ORBX stuff as it will land literally anywhere and comes with a float version. Then you could join me on my googling 'quest' to find the BananaBob paints for it to make it perfect.

Hi Piper,

A word of caution on Birds in PFJ.....it has been found that this addon conflicts with ORBX PAKT....see this thread (need to read through it a ways to see the conflict explained): http://www.orbxsyste...-impressed-and/

Stiletto2

Well, uh, I don't run with autogen. lol Thanks though. If I get the FX-6200, I'd probably use autogen, so I'll remember this.

Archived