Large round engines smell of gasoline…

bernd1151

…that means like God intended engines to smell. And the high wing tail dragger is the way, God intended for man to fly.

After having been in storage for an eternity, it took the team four years to restore the Avia 56 painstakingly and now it’s the first time that I will take her on a short hop from Orcas Island south to Lopez Island. Jim, our chief mechanic, does some last checks on the prop.

Posted Image

But first we have to start the engine. Jim is anxiously watching my moves. I am not sure that he fully trusts me. First I crack throttle about one-quarter of an inch. Then battery and mags on. Fuel boost on and then I hit the starter button. The two bladed 13’6” prop starts a slow turn, while I start to bounce my fingers on top of the primer button.

Posted Image

If people could watch me, I doubt they would realize that this requires plenty of experience and even a certain degree of finesse or style. I believe the movement of my fingers comes close to some sort of ballet performance, as the engine wants to be seduced and caressed into starting.

Posted Image

Once it starts to turn, the first act of our little drama will begin and any casual observer will leave the scene mightily impressed: belching, spluttering, banging, backfiring, rattling and flames and black smoke from the exhaust shooting out about three feet.

When the engine starts to catch on the primer, I move the mixture to full rich. Jim is happy, everything runs according to plan. And I am lucky, I did not disappoint him. Mechanics can be quite sensitive, when it comes to their precious baby.

Posted Image

Now the flames from the exhaust stop, white smoke comes out and Jim can start breathing again. I can hear a deep throaty roar. Music to my ears.

While I quickly check oil pressure and hydraulic gauges, the entire aircraft starts to shake and shutter from the torque of the engine and RPM of the prop. I close the cowl flaps to warm up the engine for taxi.

I have called the tower and got clearance to taxi to the duty runway, I look around and glare at some 90 levers, gadgets and gauges. It`s time to check on both magnetos and exercise the prop pitch before I open the cowl flaps and check oil pressure and temperature.

Posted Image

I am ready for the duty runway, line the bird up and lock the tail wheel. I also start to realize that I am now at the mercy of this old plane and my luck, some might call it experience.

I slowly increase power and crank right rudder 1.5 degrees to help my right leg to cope with the torque on take off. I know that the engine power and the monster torque of that big prop definitely want to go left.

I add more power and shove in right rudder until my right leg starts to tremble. Now I roar down the runway at full speed and pray to God that the tail will lift off, so that I can pull back gently on the stick when it feels right to get off the ground.

The engine is belching, farting and banging, but at 90 knts we rotate.

Posted Image

I adjust the throttle for climb setting and ease the prop back to climb RPM. I don’t forget to keep an eye on the cylinder head temperature and close the cowl flaps. Then I adjust power again while I climb higher and pull back the mixture control until the engine starts to quit on me. I ease it a bit forward and have the best mixture. Simple, isn’t it?

While turning south for Lopez Island, I keep scanning the engine gauges for the least hint of trouble. But luckily, everything works as expected, although the engine sounds a bit like it might blow or quit at any time.

Posted Image

A bit of traffic on my way.

Posted Image

Right downwind for Lopez Island RWY 16

Posted Image

On the descent and final

Posted Image

Landing this fairly fast bird is a bit tricky as she has no flaps, so reducing speed needs some careful planning of your approach. Tail wind is your enemy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally on the ramp with George, our local mechanic, congratulating me with a mug of beer on our maiden flight.

Posted Image

He is a good lad, he drinks rather heavily rhough and from the expression on his face I gather that his mug is empty again. Luckily I brought some booze along

Posted Image

Archived