Rex or not?

bailout3

I have been debating buying REX for some time now but am afraid it might chew up my frame rates especially since the biggest frame rate eater right now is the FSX weather when I change from simple to detailed clouds even at low levels. It basically cuts my frame rate average in half & I don't feel this fact justifies using it since the main idea is to see the beautiful scenery in FTX. Would REX do the same or worse?

I'm running with a medium speed ...2.8 gig ...8gig ram ..quad processor...lots of hard drive space.

64 bit @ the video card which it came with ATI radeon HD 5570 with adapter 1 gig ram.

Should I go for REX or not...that is the question? And would a better video card make a difference?

Hi,

It’s strange that you are having frame rate problems running weather, is this real world weather?

Personally I can run FSX weather themes without and drop in frame rate.

I have never tried to run FSX real world weather so I can’t comment on that.

What I always run is, FSX set to user-defined weather and I then start up REX real time weather system, it updates every 15 minutes. With my old system AMD 550 dual core running at 3.2Ghz on Vista, which is less powerful than your current CPU, I had a slight frame drop, but it still run well above 30FPS.

With my new i7 2700, it doesn’t even slow down when the weather is updating.

So looking at your system I think something else is going on which is causing the frame drop.

On one hand I agree with Softfish, REX won’t solve your problem.

But on the other if you can sort it out, REX makes a big difference to your flying experience.

You can split REX into two parts, First is that it has all of these great looking cloud, water and runway themes that you can pick from and mix. This is then copied into your FSX folder to replace the FSX defaults. This is the editing side of REX.

The second is the REX real time weather system, you can chose to run this or not, I always just start FSX, set it to User-defined weather and then REX weather in the back ground.

If you decide to try REX, PC Aviator have a sale on at present, It’s 50% off about $20.

Here is a video I made with my old system, it’s only running at about 20FPS due to fraps dropping it by 10FPS, without fraps it was running well over 30FPS. With the i7 and SSD drives, stutters and low frame rates are a thing of the past.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfRnhsxnZKg

Cheers Phil

Edit: sorry about posting an actual video in your thread, I tried to get just the HTML link, but it just kept linking in the video.

Thanks for your input...I was surprised as well about fsx wx eating the frames like it does.The fsx wx themes are not a problem but when I go to real wx thats when I get the drop. Maybe if I used your method it would be satisfactory. I really like the sample pictures of Rex....for $20 it might be worth a try

One more question...does it extend the load time much for fsx

Thanks

Get it !...for that price . You wont be running your computer for ever and the next one will do it for you. Ive had it for years now ,once only payment and all the updates and the next one are free.

Initially on loading you can be waitng 10-20 min . There is a massive amount of texture loading - water being the most I believe . but once your loaded its in the sim and stays there and loading times are your normal . There are tickboxes to turn off/on different kind of textures if you just want to change one type of texture i.e. Sky, clouds , morning evening day , runways blah blah blah ...just about everything. I sometimes just change the day texture and its not long to load.

No, as alan2 mentioned converting FSX clouds and water textures over to the REX clouds can take a little time depending on how fast your system processes. You only do this each time you wish to change the cloud types or other textures.

Once I start FSX, I create my flight plan, once this is done and I’m ready to go, I then start the REX weather system, it then logs onto the internet to download the local weather from which ever region my flight was created in, depending on your internet connection, it can take 30 seconds to about one and half minutes to load, once it’s loaded just minimise REX WS and start your flight as normal.

Alternatively, you can save and create weather scenario’s, you can even create a flight plan using REX and then start your flight using REX.

It’s a very useful tool. I’m glad your going to try it, hope you like it ;)

Cheers Phil.

Yeah I would get it. It is very nice. I dont even run the REX WS. I just installed REX and then later OVERDRIVE and just choose Real World Weather in FSX and thats it. I have noticed that the Overdrive HD ones do hit the FPS a little more. If I am near a city like Seattle, I will leave the weather at default. You STILL get the awesome look of REX.

Thanks all...I purchased REX2 ...it was a little confusing with the install but their forums did the trick. The program really adds some great cloud textures & I don't lose frames like I did with FSX detail cloud...beats me why but I don't really care.

Archived