PNW Airports - No runway lights

hjmx

At several airports in PNW, like KORS, KBVS, S43, 3W5, ... runway lights don't work at daylight-low visibility (<1nm). At night and dusk runway lights are fine.

Any ideas?

Harry

It depends on how the lights were placed, Harry. If they're effects (most likely for high-res add-on airports), there's no way the effect can know what the visibility conditions are - they're just triggered at certain times of day. That's probably what you're seeing.

Bill

Bill, thanks for the quick reply.

I understand your points. But this means, that one cannot do any low visibity approach to FTX payware airports during day light. Is this true? If yes, this is a major deficiency in my opinion. Is there a possibility to use/activate standard runway lights with ftx airports?

Harry

There are drawbacks to both approaches, Harry. As far as I know, there's no way for you as a user to use standard rwy lights (called BGL lights in scenery design parlance) instead of effects-based lights. It's unfortunate that more variables aren't available to scenery objects within FSX, but we're pushing the boundaries of that all the time (see our "flow" techs, for instance), so it's not unthinkable that we would find a solution to this at some point.

Archived