I need a quick answer if possible.

Turnip

Greetings, I just removed a E6550 Dual Core Conroe CPU from my Asus P5N-E-SLI motherboard. I installed a new Q6600 Quad Core ( Kentsfield ). All boot up, Windows VISTA operations ran great. I installed the stock fan. My 4 core temps are running 47,47,46,42. Is this a safe operating range? The fan is installed correctly with Arctic Silver.

The frequency stated on CORE TEMP says 2400.00 (Mhz)( 266.67 X 9.0 )

VID 1.2875v

Revision: GO

Anyone see any problems?

Just my experience:

I run my 2.4 Q6600 overclocked to 396mhz, with a zalman cooler (just a copper heatsink with fins and a bigger fan bolted to the cpu). Ive never seen the temp at more than 54 degrees C. I can crank it up to 408mhz, but then the system reboots after several minutes of running FSX. I've been told by a mate who knows (much) more than I do that I'm limited by my ram and Motherboard and that's why it cracks it at that speed.

Steve.

steve I had the same issue once I got the bus speed above about 370Mhz with a FSB:DRAM ratio 5:6 , the RAM was clocking at about 444Mhz and the system would crash and was  unstable. So I changed the FSB:DRAM ratio to 1:1 and set the Bus speed to 400Mhz to match the RAM "rated" maximum (DDR-800) and then set my CPU multiplyer to 8 to get a CPU clock of 3.2Ghzon my E8400. Runs nice now, no crashes, even load testing it.

I have seen that people have had the E8400 running stable at 9 x 400Mhz (3.6Ghz) but recommend better than stock cooling.

so to squeeze more out or yours I guess you could up the CPU multiplyer by 1 :P

I'm not sure of the exact values but I run my stock cooled Q6600 at 3GHz and it reaches about 50 degrees when playing FSX. I did have to back the memory clock off a bit though. I think it is clocking about 435MHz now.

what about smashing the proverbial sh*t out of it with Prime95??? thats when i started getting temps of 60 - 62

what RAM you using dood?

I've run my 6600 @ 3.2  ever since I bought it in March this year. At about June to August I cranked it up to 3.4 and I didn't have any problems but now that the weather has been warming up and about a week ago I've needed to wind it back down to 3.2. @ 3.00 your 6600 isn't even breaking a sweat...

A few pointers for problem free OC'ing

- You can get more out of your cpu by reducing the RAM speed / so reduce the ram / FSB multiplier so you dont oc your ram and start getting lock ups - which will lead you to think its your CPU. 800 mhz ram will start to flake out at about 900mhz.

- up the voltage a little bit but not a lot, maybe at most 1.32v **warning** too much juice will kill your cpu faster than overheating or overclocking ever will. Although @ 3.00 you most likely will never have to touch the voltage.

- get a better cooler, I use the Thermalright 120 extreme - its gigantic and fits a 120cm fan but its near silent

I really don't care to keep my CPU longer than 1.5 years (I have a box full of the buggers from previous setups which I had planned to do something with but never did) so I've realised its a myth! To be honest I am yet to have a cpu die from OC'ing. (knock on wood) but then again I am getting $1200 worth of performance from a $250 dollar chip - I can go through 4 of them and still be ahead!  ;D

Last but not least, about April next year we will all be running Nehalems.  :D  --> refer back to my comment on having a box of old cpu's

Cheers

Reliability = Not overclocking.

I know it can be done BUT if the chip was capable of 100% reliable operation it would have been sold as a faster chip to start with .

Mate, Intel would not have a separate production line for different speed CPU's. Its one line... for really fast to the really slow. They take a wafer, print chips on it and test the maximum they will go. The fastest go to the fast chip bin, the medium to the medium speed bin and so on... in essence they OC the chips to see how far they will go - a margin for stability and sort them that way. 

Problem is only so many fast chips are sold, the bulk is really the medium to lower end stuff. So really fast chips get labelled as medium or slow because those are the orders they need to fill. 

That's why OC'ing is a bit of a lottery, some chips go really fast and some don't. Better for us really!  8)

Cheers

Archived