Invalid scenery.cfg

bartp71

G'day,

Slight problem. This morning when I wanted to start FSX the following error occured:

"Flight Simulator CANNOT run without a valid scenery.cfg. Please uninstall and reinstall Flight Simulator"

Last night FSX worked fine, besides a small issue, and no changes were made!

The small issue was that I was having some elevation errors in the PNW region "KCOE" actually and some other airports. So I went about looking on the forums and with the help of some threads I was able to mostly get rid of the elevation errors

I then download the PNW patch 4 and 4a installed it and FTX central was set to North America.

Before starting FSX I wanted to check that FTX central was set to North America and got the following error:

Terrain.cfg has no [LandClasses] section.

Please help, the maximum amount of time a human body can go without FSX and FTX is 3 days ;D

Cheers

Hi Wolter,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I have just done as you have asked and got the following error:

The 'Scenery.cfg' file is missing or damaged. Please reinstall FSX to restore or repair the file'

I have actually already tried to repair FSX, prior to the 1st post, with no results:(

What else can I try mate?

Cheers

if you have the Acceleration pack installed set FTX Central to default and run the repair it will bring fsX back to it's original Acceleration state including SP2, when you run FTXCentral you should be able to switch back to NA or AUS/Oceania, if you do not have Acceleration then I'm afraid things will be very difficult to recover. what you also could do is paste the attached scenery fcg file in the location of my previous post and see if that brings any joy.

you probably get a few errors about missing scenery, write them down, accept them by clicking OK and when fsX is fired up delete them via the scenery control panel in fsX

Scenery.zip

Hi Wolter,

When you say "run the repair" do you mean do a repair of FSX via the FSX installation disks? or do you mean a repair through FTX Central?

Just a few further points, I have Acceleration addon, Win7 64bit.

Thanks mate

Ok, Ithink we are getting somehwhere now. I have done as you have asked, the repair has been completed but the following error now comes up:

"FSX requires atleast on of each of the following to run: a vor, an ndb, and a waypoint. There is currently no airports in the dataset"

I have deleted the scenery.cfg file and I am now asked to repair FSX. Is this what I should do?

Hi Bart,

as said with the repair option when inserting the Acceleration disc you should be able to repair fsX to it's original state, that's how I do it, just make sure that FTX Central is switched to default BEFORE attempting the repair option !!!

and of course imperative is that you haven't moved fsX from the location where you installed it in the first time

Wolter,

I have done as you have asked to the letter. Still can't get FSX to start. The following error still shows up:

"FSX requires atleast on of each of the following to run: a vor, an ndb, and a waypoint. There is currently no airports in the dataset"

After doing what you have said above I have also tried to repair FSX and still it wont boot up. I very much appreciate your help but I think it is looking more towards and uninstall and re install. What do you think? Should I try and uninstall only FTX products or just start from scratch?

Thanks mate,

I did a google search on "FSX requires at least one of each of the following to run: a vor, an ndb, and a waypoint." and it brought up this solution.

http://forum.avsim.n...post__p__415818

If you have Windows 7 then the address for the scenery.cfg file would be similar to this:

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Once you find that scenery.cfg file remove it from the folder and try starting FSX.

Archived