Cruising A2A P-40 in the Mt Cook area NZ [11]

yallu

Just a little test flight in the NZ area with the new P-40... Have to mention this: forgot to change fuel tank early enough... Suddenly the engine starts coughing. That sound effect is BTW utterly and amazingly immersive. Panic hits. I'm staring all the instruments trying to figure out what the problem is while rapidly loosing what little altitude I have. Then I realize I have to switch the tank. All is well again. Except I need to change me nickers...

01. Grrr... (different plane, pic from yesterday, had no time to start the flight after all, continued today with another plane)

Posted Image

02. Let's go

Posted Image

03. To the mountains

Posted Image

04. Easy climb

Posted Image

05. Let's see what this baby can do...

Posted Image

06. Cockpit

Posted Image

07. In the valley, other side of the mountains

Posted Image

08. Attitude is everything

Posted Image

09. Morning landing

Posted Image

10. Exiting runway

Posted Image

11. Closer inspection going on...

Posted Image

Jan,

The P-40 is much more efficient with cooling. I haven't overheated the engine yet and I have done quite a few touch n goes./high power takeoffs, sometimes even beyond redline. Just set cowl flaps to recommended settings and you are fine. It is a little heavier in controls than the Spitfire, a little more stable on approach. Rudder is powerful and easy to overcorrect. Becareful on takeoff with the rudder too...it will keep you on your toes....no pun intended. :)

Archived