Your opinion: Is this a good processor?

Turnip

I found this processor for $170.00 (U.S.) I have a ASUS P5N-E-SLI motherboard. Will this processor work with this MB and is it a good price?

Intel CORE2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHZ 1066MHZ 8MB Cache Socket LGA 775-PINS Processor

Core 2 - 1.07GHz - 8 MB L2 Cache - Socket 775 TRAY CORE 2 QUAD Q6600-2.4 2X4M 1066 EM Part #: HH80562PH0568M / CP2-DUO-Q6600

Pretty Sure that if your MB is the right socket type LGA 775 example then all should be ok chek your anual as to what types of CPU it will take but these days you should get at least 3.2 for get the lower ones as CPU prices do change so much.

Give my mates at Umartonline a check www.umart.com.au

They usually have the best prices around and you can order online to save extra $$$

;D;)

FLYGUY,  I'm in the states. Do they have a U.S. A. branch / store?

Thx HC   What are your frame rates like?

Hi turnip no sorry they don't but if you want something and you think it would work out cheaper for you I can send it to you no probs I have a paypal account as I trade lots online so check your prices and what you want and you would have to allow for postage but I am happy to send it to you.  ;)

FLYGUY,  I'm in the states. Do they have a U.S. A. branch / store?

Thx HC   What are your frame rates like?

I always buy from Newegg.com, best service you will find, and the prices are usually in line with the best.  $170 is a good price though, but I would be careful who you buy from as there are a lot of flaky e-tailers out there.

The Q6600 is the CPU I use, and you've seen my screens, which are almost all shot at 30fps or more.  A lot of the those chips will do 3.5Ghz on air, but 3.0-3.2GHz is probably a good goal for a casual overclocker.

Mine will do 3.5Ghz but its not stable due to a power design flaw on my MBD which requires the new revision to correct.

Thx 4 the info again. I have a 1066 mhs FSB on the board. I can't locate a faster quad core CPU without breaking the bank. Right now I'm running a dual core 2.3 and don't have enough smarts to overclock it. I think for FSX, a faster CPU will be my best bet. I still get stutters with high frame rates.

Hey Jack, how are your stutters in turns and such? Is it smooth?

BTW Turnip I get very smooth frame rates now from 20 - 50 FPS at ground level to 5000 ft after that it goes upto 200 or more but I found that I had thing set to unlimited and it was a problem as on the ground it was working my CPU too hard trying to get the fastest rate I was advised to set it to 25-30 and leave it there and it's true now I get smooth no stutters at any time.

;D ;D ;D

Thx 4 the info again. I have a 1066 mhs FSB on the board. I can't locate a faster quad core CPU without breaking the bank. Right now I'm running a dual core 2.3 and don't have enough smarts to overclock it. I think for FSX, a faster CPU will be my best bet. I still get stutters with high frame rates.

Hey Jack, how are your stutters in turns and such? Is it smooth?

Keep in mind going from a 2.3 dual to a 2.4 quad won't even give you a 5% gain in framerate.  With FSX your framerate is governed by the clock speed of the first core only, all additional cores helping only with terrain loading and to reduce stutters. 

Well it doubled my frame rates when I went from a 3gb dual core to a 2.4 quad.( the 6600 and the ASUS P5N-E-SLI motherboard) So I think it was a good move. Going from 2 to 4 gig of ram probably helped too...  Use the tweaks to have FSX use 3 cores, leave the 4th for the OS, ZOOM,ZOOM,ZOOM !! ;D

Sue

To make it clear, clock speed of core 0 alone determines your framerate provided no other bottlenecks.  Additional cores have no capacity to act on the performance of the primary thread on core 0.  The facts are clear, and when it comes to the numerous benchmarks demonstrating this it becomes irrefutable.  ;)

Here's an FSX comparison between Dual and Quad cores CPU's @ 3.0GHz.  Models with both 4MB and 6MB of cache are tested.  The two QX models are the Quads.  As you can see the extra 2MB of cache provides a 9% performance gain on both the Dual and Quad core CPU's, however going from 2  to 4 cores yields a 0% performance gain across the board. 

Speaking personally, when I moved from my 3.5GHz Dual to my 3.0GHz Quad, my framerate reduction was in direct proportion to my reduction in clock speed.  Of course the speed at which my terrain textures loaded up was nearly doubled by the extra cores.

Posted Image

To make it clear, clock speed of core 0 alone determines your framerate provided no other bottlenecks.  Additional cores have no capacity to act on the performance of the primary thread on core 0.  The facts are clear, and when it comes to the numerous benchmarks demonstrating this it becomes irrefutable.  ;)

Here's an FSX comparison between Dual and Quad cores CPU's @ 3.0GHz.  Models with both 4MB and 6MB of cache are tested.  The two QX models are the Quads.  As you can see the extra 2MB of cache provides a 9% performance gain on both the Dual and Quad core CPU's, however going from 2  to 4 cores yields a 0% performance gain across the board.  

Speaking personally, when I moved from my 3.5GHz Dual to my 3.0GHz Quad, my framerate reduction was in direct proportion to my reduction in clock speed.  Of course the speed at which my terrain textures loaded up was nearly doubled by the extra cores.

Posted Image

hmmm so what your sayin is that if I upgraded to a Quad core my terrain wont stutter at all? and will my scenery be heaps better?

I really think that SolarEagle nailed it. What I am after is faster texture loading as my frame rates are fine. I'm running an ATI Radeon 3870 in which the next upgrade will be to SLI 2 of them. If I put a quad in along with the 2 3870's, this SHOULD by all that I have read, get rid of most stutters.

Archived