FTX for free? You betcha! We're giving Tasmania away ... read more

John Venema

Orbx will later this week release the first free FTX demo, featuring ALL 16,000 square kilometres of Tasmania and YMLT Launceston airport during the spring season. Weighing in at a svelte 240MB, the demo will give anyone who wants to try-before-buy FTX a complete Australian state to explore at their leisure, with a full FTX implementation and no time lockouts. Here's your chance to tell your mates and friends about FTX and point them to a demo with balls :)

The demo will also be featured on the coverdisc of an upcoming PC-PILOT magazine.

Hi John,

perhaps this would be a good time to make a real "1.0" of the Tasmania map available on your freeware page? I am on holiday without my "map creation rig", but it should be doable to re-compile the map plus the OzX Tasmanian freeware airports (if we can get our hands on the names/coordinates as txt or kml or whatever) in short time when I return home on the 15th.

I also have Australia south of S30° (including Tasmania of course), which is most of AU blue and some AU gold, ready (without airports and navaids though) and also set up a process that finally allows a fairly automatic map creation and update. Tom already has that on his server since the weekend, but I haven't heard of him since, so it seems he's fairly busy right now. I think I would need him to collect the data during my holidays to make a fast release when I am back.

It would also be nice to have the maps set up with an installer like everything else you have, but I cannot do that.

So - have to wake up the baby now. Congratulations for your choice to free Tasmania - nothing better to convince the skeptics!

Best regards

Marc

Tom already has that on his server since the weekend, but I haven't heard of him since, so it seems he's fairly busy right now. I think I would need him to collect the data during my holidays to make a fast release when I am back.

Marc, I'll bung you an email about this asap. :)

John - Great idea I know a lot of people who I can link to the FTX demo! :)

Archived