Would appreciate some help with FTX Central

normandean

Like some other purchasers I have had a problem with the height for PAKT, with two airfields, one at the default height and one at the correct height. As I have disposed of the FSG files and also the MTX files some time ago it couldn't be due to those, but it certainly looked like an AFD file problem, although I simply could not find one and I don't have any other airports installed for that area. I do have RTMM, CIRP and Tongass Fjords, but there is nothing there to cause a problem.

Now, whilst doing this I made several reversals of the scenery from default to ORBX and back and suddenly FTX Central, when I selected North America, simply hung and then after about 10 minutes or so I got an i/o warning message. After shutting down the FTX Central then opening it again I found that the North America region was shown as selected, but on examining all the files that should have been changed I found that they were still default files. I then found that exactly the same thing happened when I tried Oceana, but in both cases I could run the batch files manually and the scenery.cfg etc was changed, and after manually setting the ALT files from .OFF to .BGL in the world\scenery folder the scenery worked perfectly in FSX.

Now after having run the scenery I was then able to run FTX Central again, select "Default" and the program ran as it should. On examination all the files had been returned to their default state, including the ALT bgls in the world\scenery folder. I repeated this several times and each time exactly the same thing hapened, I had to install the FTX sceneries manually but could restore the default by running FTX Central. Funny thing was that when I manually installed the FTX for North America files Ketchkan was as it should be except that the static airliners were missing.

I have tried running the PNW patches, reinstalled NZSI and patch, run the libraries, reinstaled PAKT both with and without running the library afterwards (currently without the library), but it makes no difference. So, can anyone come up with a suggestion, as I am now out of ides, or do I have to reinstall all my ORBX sceneries again?

Norman

System - i7 920 @ 4.0ghz, 6GB Ram., nVidea 570 gtx, Rampage 2 MB, Win 7 64 bit, 3TB storage with not more than 60% used anywhere.

Hi Norman,

Having to do everything manually is a worry, and something you should not have to,

Just a thought... Is your FTXcentral desktop icon set to run as admin? i.e right-click icon>properties>compatibility>tick box: run this program as an administrator

Since posting my last message I have had another try, and this time FTX Central runs, but with errors for both NA and Oceana.

Posted Image

But on examining the list of files I find that they are all there.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

But at least the files are converted now, and you can go back to the default state.

Norman

Hmm,

The "FSX file does not exist" error normally pops up when FSX SP1 and SP2 have not been installed?

The other clue here (FTXcentral not working in general) is the location of your FSX install...the dreaded "Program files (x86)" location, this is fraught with windows permissions problems, check that the FSX folder is not set to read-only and that you have full-total-access to the files, check the security attributes of the main FSX folder if you can

I'll have to pop out for a while, will be back in a few hours

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim, no prob. As I am 12 hours out from you I have been to bed. ^-^

Ant

yway, overnight I had an idea, and when I look at the autogen and scenery global folders in FSX those files are now missing when I select default. Further to your suggestion I looked at the ORBX permissions and got the following message.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I reset the permissions but still had the error, but I have not done anything about the textures until I hear from you again.

Do you think that simply restoring the missing textures and sqb files when FTX Central is set to default would be worth trying? I had a similar occurance a couple of weeks ago, after insatalling NZSI and at that time Holger spotted that there was a texture file in the wrong folder and after that eveything was OK again.

Norman

Hi Norman,

make sure that you are logged in as Administrator and UAC is turned off.

with a AV proggy make sure the fsX main folder is excluded from continual scanning by the AV proggy

if you have the Acceleration disc then set FTXCentral to default and hit Apply

run the Acceleration disc and select repair

this will bring fsX back to it's default textures

run the latest patches according to their install instructions and run the latest lib files last, attention PAKT has a newer lib so if you have PAKT run that last

Hi Wolter, many thanks for the advice, but, realising that I would be going to bed again just as Tim was getting going, I have already restored the texture files from my own backups. Everything is now working fine and Ketchikan is as it should be.

Many thanks to you and Tim.

Norman

Archived