Windows Vista upgrade - Help!

Paul Baumanis

Having read the threads about Vista, I decided to upgrade.

Purchased OEM version of Home Premium 64bit.

When I boot from the disk it appears to load, I get a blue/green screen with a cursor and nothing else.

Do you need the OEM preinstallation kit as well?

What hardware are you installing it on?  Vista64 should pretty much auto-detect pretty much all your hardware including a software based video driver which can drive the desktop at full resolution until you install your GPU specific drivers.

The only thing which *may* cause Vista64 to not boot at install time would be some hardware-specific RAID controllers, but even then Microsoft have almost all bases covered there.

Try:

1. check your boot order sequence in your BIOS - ensure it is set to DVD-ROM first

2. Make sure you have upgraded to the latest version of your BIOS software for your MOBO

3. Unplug all perhiperals except mouse and keyboard. Make sure no external HD's are attached

It's probably no help to say that Vista 64 bit is not an upgrade, but a fresh installation of the full OS.  It has the virtue of ensuring a clean installation of everything,

Drivers also all have to be updated to the 64x version, and fortunately I had no problems, including the printer.

Also the OS now addresses the entire 4 gigs of RAM, and also FSX uses the full amount without the bcedit instruction.

On balance I have found it better than the 32bit version because of its use of RAM and FSX runs well on it (in spite of the XP doomsayers).

Guys, I found the problem!

Impatience.

As I said it loads then does nothing.

It does nothing for three minutes fifteen seconds!!!

Then an input screen appears.

They could at least put a notice saying 'Please Wait'.

So if you do a new install of Vista, be patient.

Archived