Moving Map and Charts for Andriod Tablets! (FSWidgets GMAP)

cvearl

For all you lucky sim jocks that are going to find an Andriod Tablet under the tree this year, FSWidgets has an Andriod based moving map for FSX that works over your home WIFI. Displays layers such as Sectionals and IFR charts as well as Google Maps.

It almost looks like Plan-G meets Skyvector.com

http://fswidgets.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=50

Has anyone here had time with this? I know there is a free demo but I cannot play with this app for a week because my wonderful wife made me wrap the ASUS Transformer I'm getting. :(

The screenshots seem to be from Andriod HTC Phones. I see there is an Ipad version that looks impressive but I have yet to drink the Ipad coolaid. That and the large organization I work for is migrating from Blackberry to Andriod for our business comms. I get one in about 6 months so I decided to go same tech for my tablet needs. :)

Anyone play with this on a Tablet as opposed to the phone?

Charles.

Guest J van E

I've looked at this before but what put me off was that you can't see the flightplan like you do on a GPS (unlike the iPhone and iPad versions). You just see your plane above a map and that's it... Rather useless, I think. I've been looking for some nice FSX-related Android maps for a year (ever since I got my HTC Desire HD) but there just aren't any. When you posted this I was hoping they figured out by now how to show the flightplan on the Android, but no... Pity.

Hi,

In the Flight Plans threads under the CYSE- CZBB topic, c_d_o_s explained how he was using an Ipad to use his copy of SimTouch to do many functions in FSX. This seems to be a very versatile program that would fill your needs.

"The software is SimTouch and it work with all airplanes .

For connecting to FSX, i put the soft on my acer portable and with application IMTVNC (PlayBook app), i connect by IP address by wifi my playbook to my portable .

And after this, my soft SimTouch is totaly functionnal with my finger ."

He believes that an app for the android tablets that will connect same to the FSX computer by wifi would work. J van E with your years experience of searching are you aware of any such app that would fill the bill?

I've looked at this before but what put me off was that you can't see the flightplan like you do on a GPS (unlike the iPhone and iPad versions). You just see your plane above a map and that's it... Rather useless, I think. I've been looking for some nice FSX-related Android maps for a year (ever since I got my HTC Desire HD) but there just aren't any. When you posted this I was hoping they figured out by now how to show the flightplan on the Android, but no... Pity.

I dont want a GPS so much as I want a flight bag in the tablet where I can stop printing Plates and having folder charts in my lap every flight. The laptop is too big on my desk with all the Saitek crap everywhere. The tablet makes the most sense in that regard. I do alot of IFR now with real time weather and the PDF plates are a great thing. But if GMAP has sectionals, I will be sold.

C.

Hi,

In the Flight Plans threads under the CYSE- CZBB topic, c_d_o_s explained how he was using an Ipad to use his copy of SimTouch to do many functions in FSX. This seems to be a very versatile program that would fill your needs.

"The software is SimTouch and it work with all airplanes .

For connecting to FSX, i put the soft on my acer portable and with application IMTVNC (PlayBook app), i connect by IP address by wifi my playbook to my portable .

And after this, my soft SimTouch is totaly functionnal with my finger ."

He believes that an app for the android tablets that will connect same to the FSX computer by wifi would work. J van E with your years experience of searching are you aware of any such app that would fill the bill?

Basically I want this... http://skyvector.com/ with my plane shown over it in real time on a Tablet in my lap as I fly. I use RXP in the planes I fly so I have a GPS to follow already. This app for the droid looks like it might do it. I will try the demo when I get my tablet out from under the tree.

But as Jay Van E said it does not show a magenta course line. Just the waypoints. I am not really worried about that as I have the GPS in the plane for that. I just like to see the sectionals. There may be more simple solutions out there but this did look interresting.

EDIT - I see the rest of the pics now in that thread... That looks interresting. Crap I returned my unopened Playbook 2 days ago for the Andriod Tablet. That really does look interresting.

Ill look closer.

C.

I investigated this after reading the other post, I did some searching, and I like the wireless second screen option, which I am going to try. Also there was another moving map app that I have bookmarked but not downloaded yet, I also have the transformer Cvearl, I love it btw!

Here is a link to the moving map (untested of course)

/>https://market.android.com/details?id=com.connect.MovMap&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5jb25uZWN0Lk1vdk1hcCJd

This is the second screen wireless option as well, I thought about using that for plan G or an EFB type program

/>https://market.android.com/details?id=com.celio.redfly.screenslider.inapp&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5jZWxpby5yZWRmbHkuc2NyZWVuc2xpZGVyLmluYXBwIl0.

I have FSWidgets GMap and love it, you won't be disappointed!

You can display sectionals, high and low enroutes, and for a few bucks more you can purchase the worldwide airport and navaid database addon to it that displays all airports and navaids.

If you are looking for a moving map with great looking sectionals, seriously do not look any further. :)

Delighted to hear that. :D

Ya the Transformer is in danger of me unwrapping it early. But my charming wife might have something to say about it.

I see the demo is full function just time limited. Looking forward to trying it out!

Archived