Advice needed on sound

Aceshigh

Hi everyone I have my new motherboard a Gigabyte EP45-DS3R.

It has a built in sound card, Realtek ALC889A codec

High Definition Audio  2/4/5.1/7.1-channel.

Sounds ok so far,  But  .....

Would I be better off buying a new sound card and turning the built in one off?

Do you hear anything better?    Do you get more CPU power free ? 

The shop wants to sell me a Creative Xfi sound card but then says the drivers fpr XP and Vista are a nightmare?

Is it worth the money to have a separate sound card ?

thanks.

???

Hi everyone I have my new motherboard a Gigabyte EP45-DS3R.

It has a built in sound card, Realtek ALC889A codec

High Definition Audio  2/4/5.1/7.1-channel.

Sounds ok so far,  But  .....

Would I be better off buying a new sound card and turning the built in one off?

Do you hear anything better?    Do you get more CPU power free ? 

The shop wants to sell me a Creative Xfi sound card but then says the drivers fpr XP and Vista are a nightmare?

???

Is it worth the money to have a separate sound card ?

Hi mate  I'm running a X-Fi with Vista 64 bit on a Gigabyte P35-DS3R without any hassles at all , and  WoW!  yes it is worth the Bucks as well as easing the cpu up and the = better FPS  ;)

I dunno. I have the same realtek audio on board sound and it sounds great to me ( with a decent set of speakers ). Doesn't seem to effect framerates at all. The new on board sound chips are a huge improvement on years gone by.

I have Realtek too, and although the sound is good, I do have a lot of trouble with voice, particularly on vatsim.. I am beginning to think I should buy a sound card.. but if I do it will only be a cheap one, because I only use a headset with the computer. Teecee.

Can't comment on the effect on CPU load, but as far as sound quality goes, it depends what you are going to use it for besides FS. I was using Realtek onboard sound but wasn't happy with the quality at all. Try maxing the volume and listen on headphones with no sound source active. With the Realtek I was getting a lot of background static and hiss. I installed a Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme ($85) and the improvement was remarkable - absolute silence at max volume. And that's one of the lower end Sound Blaster cards.

Similarly with music playback I thought the Realtek sound was distorted but the SB is just great. So well worth the money IMHO.

Greg

Realtek Sound is an absolute PAIN in particular the AC97  mainly due to the GUI interface and Driver's NOT allowing the same configurability that other cards doo PARTICULARLY when it comes to Audio for things like VATSIM.   There is NOTHING to the FPS or resource argument they will be comparable. As for Xfi I wouldn't bother,  just use a decent SB Live or Audigy card as they offer the same quality chip set at a much more economical price for quality sound.

Archived