Port Macquarie - on loan from WA POLICE

Butch

Hi Guys,

I just got a hold of Port Macquarie and man its just lovely. So much attention to detail, the problem with these airports is once you have them the default airports, well just dont cut it any more.

This series is 'on loan' from WA, the NSW gov is evaluating aerial surveillance aircraft. 

Getting ready, pre-flighting.

Posted Image

View from the tower? This gives a perspective on just how big the PC12 actually is compared to the GA planes, I guess that's why they strapped a 1600shp jet prop to this thing.

Posted Image

Taxing to the active, I saw this guy busking for avgas, he tried to hail me down but I didn't stop.  ;D

Posted Image

Still taxing, I love how alive and busy this place looks, so much better than the sterile and lifeless default airports.

Posted Image

Small things excite me... just look at those taxi lights!  ;D

Posted Image

Even smaller things that excite me... notice the grass at the edge of the runway.  :o

Posted Image

After taking off, I doubled back and did a flyby. At the end of the runway I did a steep chandelle to the left (so the crowds at the terminal could have a good view)

Posted Image

I then waited for the Qantas Link Dash 8 that was taxing to get airborne then formed up to it. It was a brief formation flight because the bugger outpaced me. I should have had a 2200shp jet prop!

Posted Image

Wow, beautiful scenery, lovely airports, Australian AI... it doesn't get much better than this. (well maybe if I had a system like Jaykae's up coming rig hehehe)

I think I'll be moving my base of operations from Launceston to Port Macquarie now, I can fit everything that's in my hangar into this airport, even my new MD80. In fact getting the MD80 into this airport will be pretty exciting. 

Thank you very much John Ross and the rest of the FTX team, virtual flying in Australia has never been this good. 

Cheers

Butch, I'm flying my Super 80 Ansett Retro out of YPMQ, its a blast, a bit of extra trim over the CG limit is needed and even though 'Bitchin Betty' screams at me the whole way down the runway advising that my stabiliser is about to come off, she rockets into the air with metres to spare, what a rush!!  ;)

Thanks for the comments guys, this wouldn't be possible without the beautiful work of John Ross.

@Archie, mate I think you and I are the exception on these boards in relation to heavies. I took your word from the post you did on the retro ansett jobbie and did a flight from Albury to Port Mac in the MD80.

I came in heavy, 97% passenger load and quite a bit of fuel... well let me tell you, I nearly demolished my joystick pressing the brake button! Jeez, full reverse and maximum braking effort. I tell you I was 'puckered up' in my chair hoping I didn't overshoot. I just missed the last turn off at the terminal end of the runway.

It was a tight 180, then into the commercial ramp, which was again a mission in itself. The only analogy I can make is its like driving an F1 car in Monte Carlo tight but doable.

All this excitement in perfect weather, can you imagine this at minimums... it'll be double pucker! I'll see if I can post some pics tonight.

Cheers,

Well at least a double pucker will prevent spontaneous farting on short finals  ;D ;D ;)

Heheheh well, eh, erm, that sort of behaviour is not conducive to proper CRM.  ;D

Just posted a hmmm rather long pucker post, (tome really) I hope you don't get mad at me.  :)

Cheers,

Archived