Some real flying today - taking a break from FSX

kamarad

Was time today to brush-up that night flying skill and to do the 5 landings required to stay current with the regulation for bringing passenger while flying at night.

So short hop from Quebec CYQB to a couple of airport nearby. Monmagny CSE5 for some touch and go was the first one.

Then Iles-aux-grues CSH2 (Crane Island) in the middle of St-Lawrence river for some more interesting flight challenge.

Posted Image

Isle-aux-grues is a 2500 ft strip so not so bad but you must be on the numbers for landing as there is not too much runway to spare with a floating approach. Crosswind is a regular challenge here as nothing stop the wind over the river that is quite large.

This is really the perfect place to experience the black hole effect with no light around because of the river and only a handfull of family (all adept of energy efficiency and low lighting apparently) lives. So eyes on the vario and the altitude as well as speed. No VASI to help you to stay on the glideslope.

Posted Image

This island is a dream place for kids that like planes. There is no school on the island so no school bus either. But a school plane to bring the kids to Montmagny in the morning and back in the evening.

The school transportation system at Iles-aux-grues. C-GGJG is a "Islander" of course.

Posted Image

Very quiet evening on the island. Thousand of stars in the black sky and thousand of white goose that are in the archipelago those weeks on their migration south. I just hear them as the engine sound has disturbed their quietness... What a wonderfull evening !!!

Posted Image

Looks like a lot of people will be flying that route...whilst not an organised multiplayer event, it will be interesting how many end up flying logged into Vatsim at the same time.

Without organisation, it would be more like real life..keepiong your situational awareness..I know I'm going to fly it even though I only have FSX default for this region.

@michael63; A lot of fun indeed.

@bassman: yes could be a fun route on Vatsim. I heard from the president of the local flying club (les ailes québecoises) that they want to organize an event for flight sim where the control tower, terminal and control zone will be manned.

As for the default fsx zone, there are several airports available for Quebec province from a group of freeware developer (http://okad.ca/cvq/index.php , in French). I know freeware developpers working on Isle-aux-grues right now and I have took the picture for the fuel pump mapping. I’m not sure that I can post a scenery image as it is not an Orbx zone…….. hmmm….. but wait.. I may have an idea to post something without infringing the forum rules… let’s try……

Well Ahem…. This is an open question to Orbx development team

We are developing right now the fuel pumps for Isles-aux-Grues aiport. Would it be very difficult for you guys to develop a Full Terrain X zone for the whole Quebec province that we can put under those pumps?

Posted Image

:ph34r:

Orbx, if you develop something in our area.. you will have a lot of developpers that will be more than happy to populate small airfields around the place.

@Jan, yes real life scenery is still the best…. But I must say that Orbx stuff is amazing and very enjoyable to flight also…

• 2 weeks later...

Some more flying yesterday. Season is coming to it's end before winter.

Same area as shown on the Plan G map above. the North leg that goes over a series of small island. There are 4 islands with small strips on this leg (all of them private). Ile Madame, Ile aux Ruaux, Grosse Ile and Ile Ste-Marguerite.

First Ile Madame which is the (or one of the) Bombardier family hideout. With private strip of course for STOL aircraft.

Posted Image

Second is Grosse Ile (Big Island) which is full of history. On this small island of 1 miles per 1 miles, all the imigrant entering Canada had to go on quarantine. About 5000 people were buried on the Island, a large number of them were Irish people. This is now a national park. The strip is on the eastern tip of the island.

Posted Image

And finally a video from Gaston Lepage which is a well known actor and aviation fan in Quebec province. He produced last month a video flying on the archipelago and to one of the 15 or so smaller island where you can rent a camp. He shows landing to Ile sottise (stupidity islans... .who know who gave this name) and picking up a passenger on a nearby larger island (Ile d'Orleans).

[media]http://youtu.be/bS-VTuEVWFA

Enjoy...

Pierre

And fresh from youtube..... my passenger Jean-Pierre Fillion just posted his capture of yesterday morning flight a few minutes ago...

A bit long so the interesting point are:

3:15 Ile Ruau strip

5:30 Pilar of stone lighthouse

6:50 low pass at Iles aux grues airport

7:44 Landing Iles aux grues rwy 07

9:00 taking off rwy 07. 2 passenger, cool air at 2 C. I will not try this full load on a hot summer day as there is not too many runway to spare even on good conditions. Good news : no tree at the end of runway... only field then the river...

9:55 Grosse Iles national park and Irish memorial

14:50 overflying Quebec downtown

http://youtu.be/8BxZnH7EC98

What a great break away from FSX.....Awesome pictures mate. I miss Quebec and will visit again when I go back to Canada next year...

Great picture of Grosse Ile. One day I will visit that island and pay tribute. Irish Canadian is my Heritage but mostly decend Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and Quebec.

Cheers :D

Archived