Anacortes to Skagit - a Bush Pilot Perspective

Pappy_EVA

Situation: Orbx software 74S, KBVS payware loaded on PNW and weather set use Orbx wx #5 scenario. Flying the GFA Piper. Time: 11:30 Pacific Time.

With the Pacific Northwest becoming a payware bonaza, there are a lot of options. You now can fly from Ketchikan to Jackson Hole and never leave the Orbx software world. After years of being satisfied with flying in a 100x100 mile box of fantastic detailed scenery in Alaska, we now have Orbx area detailed VFR scenery with minutely detailed airport scenery.

Being able to incorporate the scenery into a 'virtual bush charter service' has been a great incentive for both older VA pilots and the new pilots wanting to take advantage of the true VFR flying theme. At Eagle Valley Air, we are saying the chickens are coming home to roost. With a secondary mission of our VA to fly GA light aircraft, the new Pacific Northwest and Rocky Mountain scenery is an answer to a dream.

Today, I am doing a flight from 74S to KBVS to see how the two payware packages meld into a larger extremely detailed area in upper Washington. There are a lot of pics out there illustrating the marvelous objects in each package. I was more concerned about the "flying realism" between the two airports for the 10 miles of flying. I was quite surprised by the details.

Posted Image

Sorry.... just had to show the fantastic taxiways. Is that real or what? After my departure on RWY 36, I did a left turn and come back south over the main part of the island.

Posted Image

It was quite easy to navigate between the two locations because of Hwy 20 linking the two. Along this route you will see land, housing areas, business district, mud flats, rivers, interstates, farming, etc. You can make the trip in a car object just as well as a plane. Great details. I will shut up now and let you see the remaining screen shots. These are cut and paste with no photo shopping. LOL A little dreary, yes; it is the Northwest. My arrival is on Rwy 4 at Skagit Regional.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

FTX has made FSX into the simulator I hoped for 5 years ago.

I used to do a lot of high altitude airliner stuff, but now I rarely go above 5,000 feet and hardly any faster than 100 knots! (plus its kind of more intersting and in line with my real life flying experience - especially using a VFR chart, a ruler and a Whizz Wheel)

Who needs GPS? ;D

Great stuff Pappy... I kinda think this post would have belonged in the "review" part instead of the community screen shot's, but I see why it was moved here. I love the look of the area and really do enjoy flying anywhere in any of a orbx covered region(s). It's amazing how scenery like this and a great bush flying VA can truly shape the way you fly all together..heck, if I was asked a year ago if I would have ever seen myself flying smaller aircraft at lower altitudes, and actually see myself enjoying it, there would be no way I would have said anything close to "yes". In fact, I probably would have just laughed a lot about it and went back to flying tubes @ 30,000+ ft. I love these screen shot's Pappy! I find myself constantly tapping the "v" key when flying myself and would hate to admit the amount of hard drive space that is used up by all the screen shot's I've collected lol.

Glad you like it guys. I am not against detail reviews, but most is 'eye-candy'. I want to see what it looks like from a pilot's view. This means, let's fly in and taxi around. To me, a left button hook landing is worth everything.

As for 74S, it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo detailed that a full review would not cover it. With so many airstrips and helo ports in this scenery, a short review just does not do it justice. I am of the opinion that 74S will take some awards this year. Kudos to the developers. This is a pure jewel.

Archived