ATON Discrepancy

deverette

I remember reading (PNW update) that you were able to import the Light List and all lighted maritime aids were in correct position and showing correct characteristics. For giggles I loaded up at Bowerman in a MD500. Turned the lights off in the sim, and rather than an aeronautical chart, wanted to see if I could navigate out the channel to the ocean via the lighted aids. So, broke out chart 18502 (Gray's Harbor; Westhaven Cove) and took off.

Was absolutely amazed that everything matched up as it indicated on the chart. Decided to use just buoys on the way out and everything was spot on. Turned around to check the fixed aids on the way in and noted a discrepancy. Bar Range Rear Light (Light List Number 15545) is showing improper characteristics. Supposed to be an Iso R 6s. Instead it appears to be showing Fl R 6s. Was unable to check any others as I promptly lost control of the helicopter and splashed while I was writing that down. Recommend a Broadcast Notice to Mariners be issued until you can patch it. ^-^

In all seriousness, it's simply amazing that you're able to replicate such an esoteric item in FSX with such accuracy and attention to detail, simply blows me away. That's the only anomaly I've ever been able to discover in PNW. Please keep this level of detail coming!

Hi Dan,

glad to hear that someone actually enjoys (and uses) the marine navigation lights. They are based on published light lists and positioning and light effects are as accurate as the Coast Guard data are with the caveat that we restricted the object library to buoys, skeleton towers, and dolphins (e.g., none of the many different types of daymarkers) and that we simplified the flash types a bit.

I'll have a look at the Bar Range Rear Light for the next service pack; could be a coding error on my part or incorrect source data.

Cheers, Holger

Holger,

Hi there! I wasn't complaining at all. Kind of tounge-in-cheek comment praising the accuracy and fidelity of your scenery. No update needed at all. I'm just amazed that you incorporated it in the first place. Please keep the high quality scenery coming!

Thanks,

Archived