FSX on a big screen TV???

Turnip

Has anyone ever tried to plug their computer into a big screen TV? I have a 50 inch Panasonic plasma TV and my ATI 3870 video card came with differant plugs. What would FSX look like on a large TV like that? It is a 1080i TV. I also have a Sony home theatre system for sound.

I tried it on my Sharp 52 inches LCD TV at 1920x1080p (using the DVI-I connector since my 8800GTX does not have a HDMI connector) and it was quite interesting. At that size, you have a much better feeling of being inside the plane, but I had to sit quite close to the TV to be able to read the instruments (3 ft. max) which wasn't as comfortable as simming at my computer desk.

I much prefer my TH2G with 3 19 in. monitors, mainly because it gives me a much wider panoramic view than a single monitor or big TV, but if I only had a single monitor, I would move my setup to the big TV.

Best regards from Canada,

I've hooked my PC up to our LCD TV before and I have to say it looks great. :)

Yesterday I was going to hook the PC up to our TV and then go into Tower Mode and watch the traffic at YMML - sad I know, but what the hey - in the end I didn't get chance to do it. Might try today though. :P

Jaykae.... is there an issue with Plasma vs LCD?

Turnip, yes.

With a plasma TV you will get "picture burn" on the screen if you have a bright image left on the screen for a certain amount of time. This time is not a constant (sorry purists of E=MC2), so there is no real theory on when you need to "shift" the image.

I have a 32" Philips and a 47" Philips 1080p LCD. I find that I get better picture and colour on the 32" as you are displaying the same amount of lines on either screen but with a bigger screen the lines are still further apart as it is a bigger screen. You are running the same lines but over a different area (space).

The size of the screen is also relative to the distance you are from it. With the 32" you can be closer to the screen, whilst with the 47" further back therefore with your situation with the instruments, further back may not necessarily be ideal.

IMO a 32" is currently all you will need for FSimming.

With regard to the plasma/LCD issue, picture burn is the major concern as it probably will happen and is NOT covered by warranty so avoid plasma. You should get a more "fluid" look from an LCD also.

But if you want to watch sport, buy a plasma. Pioneer. Nothing better. But for computers, LCD and as I said IMO 32" is well big enough.

Cheers,

Paul.

Thx Paul.Ā  I have the 50" Panasonic HD Plasma and I am amazed at the picture quality. I love it. The TV will actually shift the picture a very small amount to decrease the chance of burn in. Also, if you have the TV station logo on the lower right side of the screen, the TV station has that logo move around a bit also. You don't notice it moving but it does.

Panasonic went with a "green" plasma that runs a whole lot cooler than the old style. My set runs at about 102 degrees F. All this is of course, what I was told and read. Your mileage may vary.Ā  ;D

Bendigo Andy.Ā  I'm interested in the projector.Ā  I reckon flight sim on a curved screen back projected might just be the coming thing - or maybe an LCD will be made curved.Ā  The important thing is to get the megapixels - TH2G is 3840 wide.Ā  If a 32" LCD is still only in the 1950 range then the same enjoyment is not there.

I bet within a year or so, all sorts of new screens will be around.

What Paul said lol .. plasma TV will see the end of it's reign soon enough, now with Pioneer having pulled out of the race as well it really leave Panasonic as the big backer for plasmas ( DVDRam anyone? ) 2 years ago I got burned on a forum somewhere for predicting Toshiba's loss of HDDVD to BD... what is the saying again? Just love it when it turns out that I am right lol

True on the Pioneer, Jay so if you want a great screen at a good price hunt around for price on them. Panasonic are doing more and more LCD these days also so it shouldn't be too long before they start to cut back their plasma range. Just beware of the many generic plasmas out there which are still plentiful but priced for a reason.

We've demo'd FTX on a Sony 52" LCD and it actually looks better in analog VGA mode at 1360x768 than full HD at 1920x1080 - reason is mainly that the HD digital signal is far too sharp for FSX and you end up with pretty bad contrast.

Looks damn cool though. I recall Matt spending tooo much time in the office about 6 inches from the 52" LCD panel having a ball :)

Paul is correct on the "cheapo" plasma sets. Stay away from them. I did TONS of research on these sets before buying. While I've had this set about a year, it is still freaking awesome. I was told that if you dont worry about burn in on a CRT, you dont have to worry about it on these type of plasmas. Again, it runs real cool. Unfortunately, I have DIRECT TV. They stink and their remote controls are THE most difficult to operate. They just did an upgrade and I now have to hit 5 buttons just to get to my favorites menu.

Archived