This is BAD !

martinc

More to follow...

RENO, Nev. (AP) -- A plane plunged into the stands at an air race event in Reno in what an official described as a "mass casualty situation."

It wasn't immediately known how many people were killed. But video of the crash showed a horrific scene of bodies and wreckage at the front of the stands.

Mike Draper, a spokesman for the air races, told The Associated Press that Jimmy Leeward was the pilot of the P-51 Mustang that crashed into the box seat area at the front of the grandstand about 4:30 p.m. He said he did not have any information on the number of injured.

The National Championship Air Races draws thousands of people every year in September to watch various military and civilian planes race.

I hope this doesn't lead to stricter regulations in regards to spectator viewing. I watched the Red Bull Air Race in NYC and it was amazing to be so close to these planes whipping through the course. That's part of the experience for me. Risk included.

Absolutely terrible...

I've unfortunately witnessed two fatal air crashes (both at Oshkosh) and it's a sickening feeling. RIP to those that were killed.

I hope this doesn't lead to stricter regulations in regards to spectator viewing. I watched the Red Bull Air Race in NYC and it was amazing to be so close to these planes whipping through the course. That's part of the experience for me. Risk included.

Had front row seats to that race (live in high-rise just north of Ellis Island, overlooking course). the 2011 Red Bull season was cancelled due to some safety concerns. Unfortunately, while this was a tragic accident, I can easily see some politician using it to champion a cause in the name of "keeping us safe", resulting in huge FAA regulations regarding proximity of assembled spectators during aerobatic demonstrations.

Absolutely terrible...

I've unfortunately witnessed two fatal air crashes (both at Oshkosh) and it's a sickening feeling. RIP to those that were killed.

Had front row seats to that race (live in high-rise just north of Ellis Island, overlooking course). the 2011 Red Bull season was cancelled due to some safety concerns. Unfortunately, while this was a tragic accident, I can easily see some politician using it to champion a cause in the name of "keeping us safe", resulting in huge FAA regulations regarding proximity of assembled spectators during aerobatic demonstrations.

I agree, I went to the Reno Air Races about 25 years ago and always felt safe. In fact it is probably safer attending an airshow or race then driving your own car, because you never know when some other driver is going hit you.

Archived