Difference between course and heading

JimNZ

Hello All.

Could someone please tell me what the difference is between a gauge that says Course Select and one that says Heading Hold Indicator, and when using the 'bug' which one do you use to keep the aircraft on the required heading or course. I have just bought the Carenado Cessna T210M Centurion II. It does not come with a manual that covers these questions.

Many thanks,

Jim.

G'day Jim,

Your heading is the direction the nose of your aircraft is pointing in, whereas the course is the direction it is travelling over the ground. They are not the same, as your course will differ from your heading based on wind direction, wind speed and other aerodynamic effects (control inputs, etc.)

If you're using the Heading "Bug" to control your course then you will need to set it to your intended course +/- correction for crosswind effects, so if you intend to fly a course of 090 with a light breeze from the south (180) you may need to set your heading to 095 or 100 to compensate. If you're navigating via a VOR course selector, then you will set the desired radial course to/from the VOR and tune your heading to keep the needle centred. Hope that helps, it can be confusing if you're not familiar with navigation!

Cheers,

Derek

EDIT: This is a great resource to help out with navigation in flight sims... http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm

You won't believe this Spud but I'm in bed this very minute, reading that exact piece. I've noticed that I downloaded and printed it on the 22nd Sept. 2008 hi hi. Derek and Dave your replies are very much appreciated, I now know exactly what I have to do.

Once again thank you all.

Regards,

Jim.

Hey Jim,

I believe you're probably asking about the HSI (Horizontal Situation Indicator). It looks like this?

Posted Image

This is a multi-function gauge that is used to both tune into VOR signals, for instance, or ILS glideslopes, and also to manage the autopilot. Look up HSI, and you'll find out the information you need. Basically, the course select knob lets you tune in a course and then use the CDI (course deviation indicator) to see whether you are on the right course. The heading select knob moves the bug to set the heading (the direction you want to point the aircraft) on the autopilot. The heading may need to change to achieve a certain course because of wind drift, etc. You can use it just for one or the other function, or both at once.

In a nutshell Heading is the compass degree the aircraft is pointing to. Course is the track over the ground the aircraft is following. Rarely will they be the same. Only in the case of no wind or a exact headwind or tailwind will result in no difference in the two readings.

Archived