Just had a development idea ....

Divot

As a relative newbie to FS ( < 12 months flying), it's my impression that once you're in the air, it's generally a case of set your settings for the flight profile you want to do, and then fly it.

If, for example, you are doing some GA flying in the countryside, and happen to pass over Orbx YMML, then it could be the case that you get all of the mentioned "side effects" of having dense autogen etc. I know that I and several others have had issues flying around SE QLD running out of video memory and I was wondering ....

Is there any scope for designing an add-on program that monitored your location, and when you entered a particular zone, adjusted your settings to a pre-defined profile?

You could set your zones up via something like Google Earth, and then import the kml file into another application. Once this zone was defined, you could then set your autogen and other settings to suit how you want FSX to handle it.

For example, an area could be defined around YMML that as soon as you crossed into it, your autogen could be set to sparse, and when you flew out of the area it could change back to dense. I know that you can change settings mid-flight, but having something do it for you (even if it paused your flight for you while terrain or other features were rebuilt) would be an advantage to most simmers. You could even program warnings to come up in the sim to say that you were entering/leaving a defined zone (say 5-10 miles out).

What are your thoughts on such an application? Is it even possible?

I have no direct experience with the SDK (yet), but I am an experienced (and eager) VB.Net developer, so writing the app should be no probs so long as I can get some assistance with the objects in the SDK. I am happy to do collaborative work, and it could be either a community or donation-ware project, or could come under the Orbx banner as freeware/payware.

Happy to discuss further with anyone either in this forum post or via PM.

An app like that would be a no-brainer, because everything is held in fsx.cfg which in theory is dynamic. Would have to try to be sure though. It just needs a GUI front end and some C# code.

Actually ... Orbx is actually making such an app right now ....  ;D  Adrian and I are putting a "Config Tweaker" together and if we add the ability to save profiles then you could call up the app mid-flight and "tune" to an area.

The only thing you can't avoid is the fact you need to reload the scenery at the point you call up a profile.

Watch this space :)

Hi Adam,

in the meantime (until "Config Tweaker" is finished) you allready can load and save your settings during a flight via the option menu and FSX will automatically reload your current status with the new settings. I have an adapted version of settings for each special scenery. You even can manipulate some settings, which you can't change by fsx gui, using a simple text editor.

Cheers

Yeah, I know they are about. I have to have something to amuse myself with thought don't I!

Mind you, it might all come to a standstill soon as I may have had an offer on something I can't refuse. It will take a fair chunk of my time, is something I've wanted to do all my life and has nothing to do with software!

Archived