Branson to buy Lynham?

rockliffe

Some time ago, probably about twelve months, a friend had said that he'd heard in the grapevine that sir Richard Branson was looking at buying Lynham, in Wiltshire. For those of you who reside elsewhere on the planet other than the UK, Lyneham has been an RAF base for many years. It is the main base for C130s and is a very central location in the south of England. When I first heard this I received it with a certain amount of scepticism. But then I soon realised that due to the location of Lyneham, it would be the perfect place for a commercial airport. No doubt, if it is true, then our Richard would have his own dedicated airport for his Virgin fleet of aircraft. Only a few weeks ago I heard on the news that Lyneham is due to close in 2012. So, who knows, maybe there is some truth in the rumour after all. Has anyone else heard such a rumour?

Despite the fact that Lyneham has ceased flying operations it is to remain the property of defence estates and an RAF personnel station for the foreseeable future. Branson keeps coming up with these ideas without actually speaking to the relevant bodies, it is the same up here in northern Jockistan he has been mouthing off about using RAF Lossiemouth for the same purpose for at least a decade, but without having consulted the MOD it is not even a pipe dream.

Archived