A few transparency issues in DX10 mode

Nils

Hi,

i'm having a few transparency issues in DX10 mode (everything is ok in DX9 mode):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's not a big problem, but i hope it's in your list for the SP.

Thanks for your help and your great add-ons! :)

Hi Nils,

thanks for pointing out those problems.

I noticed the issue with the approach strobes during final Beta testing and the response I got was that YMML is meant to be compatible with the DX10 preview and that any outstanding issues (there's also a texture problem with the radar tower at the ATC center) would be fixed in a service pack or hotfix. I'll alert John and Marty to this thread for confirmation.

Cheers, Holger

Ufff thanks Holger!

You can delete this thread if you want.

I know that it is not easy and it's not my intention to damage Orbx.

I had no other problems in DX10 mode and i already checked if my default textures have been changed by another add-on.

Hi Nils,

no worries, and thanks for the nice post at SOH.

If you have a chance to spend more time in DX10 preview mode we'd appreciate to hear of any other issues you may spot.

Also, do you notice a difference in frame rates and/or fluidity? I know that some people prefer DX10 mode because it gives them better fps overall. I usually don't have X10 preview active and didn't have time for direct comparison testing.

Cheers, Holger

It appears that DX10 has issue with some alpha channels. What is going to be very difficult is two things.

1. Those cars are FSX Defualt library objects so we have no capacity to make any changes to them what so ever, apart from removing them.

2. The strobe is an effect which use a different method of creating the alpha around the effect which again is a native FSX function using the FSX SDK.

I will try to find a fix for the strobe as your reports suggest the other runways lights etc are not affected, it may be as simple as a setting change in the Effect file.

The cars however we have no control over apart from the fact that we have used them in the scenery. So do we take them all out? Not sure on that one. but you can remove the cars using the CP in the meantime.

In short i think these issues are most likely an internal FSX DX10 issue rather than a specific issue with anything we have done, but we will do out best.

@Holger

If i could choose i would only fly in DX10 mode, because i'm not able to fly with exactly the same settings in DX9 mode like i use in DX10 mode (water, effects, bloom), but there are the known anomalies and problems with add-ons (flickering of runways and effects). So ATM, i have no real choice but i had a lot of fun in the FTX regions with DX10.

The texture loading is also much better but that could depend on Vista64. I had a few issues under Vista64, which i didn't had with XP (a few CTDs at YMML). But reducing the details and a few textures seem to have cured the problem.

It's all a little bit complicated because i use one FSX installation "sandwitched" between XP (DX9 mode) and Vista64 (DX10) and i use airplane traffic only in DX9 mode and road traffic only in DX10.

@Marty

Thanks for your reply!

Like Kai Tak, YMML is also looking pretty cool at night (i'm normally not a big night flyer).. especially with road traffic.

Ok, i saw now the other night issues (some parked cars are white at night) and i guess it's not worth to fix it as long as the main DX10 anomalies aren't fixed. So, forget the cars ;D

But it would be great if you could change the strobe so that everything would work during the day in DX10 mode... i haven't seen any other issue in the daytime.

Thanks!

Archived