You'd have to be mad .....

6297j

As my only experience of being on a motorbike resulted in several broken ribs and a badly broken leg which still gives me trouble today I really wonder why anyone would want to do this :o

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlnTvfap4fo&feature=player_detailpage

No wonder there are deaths at this event on a regular basis!

Yep its a scary one alright and to pilot these bikes around this coarse takes great skill for sure especially when you get atank slapper on going full whack as happens to some, this is not for the faint hearted at all a grand vid thanks for showing.

cheers

Iain

this is the most famous and infamous motorcycle race in the world IMO it is nutters on even nuttier crazy machines riding the line of instant fame an gratification and instant death it is crazy I tell ya crazy!

Those who live by the sword...

Got my steel-plate removed 5 years ago - only using cars now :D

I still have the titanium pin which ran the length of my tibia! I keep it under the bed as a potential intruder basher.

I've come off bikes over thirteen times, and the only thing I ever suffered was a couple of cracked ribs. I got more damage to my bones punching someone in the head years ago.

Can't say I have big enough spherical objects to do that, but I've done my share of hooning around :lol: It's certainly a mans race :P

At age 20 skidded across a frost covered wooden bridge in NZ. Leg saved by fitted knee guards, but cuts and bruises. Rode the last 50k home through the mountains (Lewis Pass for NZ-ers)home to Nelson. Sold the bike for 30 quid, and never got on a motor-bike again.

My father always called motorcyclists 'temporary NZ-ers', he was right.

As long as your plane recovers readily from spins, then aerobatics quickly becomes about precision and not survival. Upside down at 50ft with nothing on the clocks but the maker's name is of course deliberately putting yourself in harm's way.

Hi Guys,

I have to say, I have been riding bikes for over 30 years, I love bikes. Although the video looks scary, when your in control of a bike it doesn't feel scary at all, it feel exhilarating. My last bike did over a 190 mph, there really is nothing like it in the world.

I have had quite a few accidents both off and on the road, broken several bones, but then it's also far to say that in the first 16 years of my life, I suffered more broken bones just playing football or falling off rope swings, than I have ever done riding motorbikes.

Also sadly, I have lost three close friends to bike accidents, none of my friends were racing or being reckless. Accidents can and will happen at anytime, no mater what your doing, unfortunately that's life.

Biking is like any other sport, it's a passion often it's something you life for, just like every other sport, i.e. downhill skiing, flying, scuba diving which can all be considered dangerous, yet none of these sports feel dangerous when your the one doing them, they feel gratifying, rewarding, exhilarating and even though you know things could go wrong, if its your passion you will often accept the risks.

I Think the TT is one of the most dangerous road races in the world, and to be honest I often wonder if it's worth it, there are other places to race.

Phil.

I believe this is the most equal race on the planet. I might be wrong, but I think that anybody can ride the circuit as it is a race against the clock rather than directly against other riders (not sure about this though?? I think that the "two hairy bikers" (food show) rode little 50cc bikes around the course). If you ride then you will understand why madness is not required, although it helps. I am a rider and have had two "spills" one at about half a km per hour (I fell over turning around in a driveway :-[:-[:-[ and the other when I did a controlled drop in the wet down a hill; brakes grabbing, approaching a major T intersection, slowed to about 3kms ph ,dropped to the left, kept legs out of the way and only bent the handle bars.(the driver whose car boot I was approaching got out and made sure I was ok, which is great)I picked the bike up, sat by the side of the road, lit a smoke (havn't smoked for 7 years since,) got up, kicked the handle bars in a semblance of straightness and rode home.

Bikes are as safe as the riders attitude and ability. Bikers do not own the road and bikers who want to live will ride defensively, not aggessive to other road users, and will pay attention to road conditions ahead; if you don't know the road, then ride accordingly.

Dan

Archived