i7 2600K qualify for Orbx's airports?

alanngai

Due to some reasons, I need a 30+ fps flying experience.

My present i7-920 (no OC) does a good job in the PNW, NRM... but when I approach the payware airports, the fps dragged back to 20 or below.

Now I'm considering to upgrade my rig, does the i7 2600K (with some OC) qualify for the job? or should I wait for the bulldozer or Sandy Bridge E ?

Thank for the response, in fact I'm not familiar with OC. Does it risky or where can I get a rookie guide?

Sorry but if you don't OC your 920 what would be the point in buying a 2600K? The 26k is 3.4 Ghz...not that much fast than the 920 @ 2.4. I have the 2500K OCed to 5 and she SMOKES FSX and I used to have the i920 OCed to 3.8 and it made a big difference. Do yourself a favour and OC your 920 to 4.0 if you can get her there, then after you get some experience go buy the 2500K and you'll be in for a big suprise.

On average and at standard clock rates, the frame rate increment to be expected fom going from a 920 to a 2600K is around 20%, not enough in my view to justify replacing most components of your system. The 2600K has more overclocking headroom, so the difference between overclocked systems is probably around 25%, although this will vary, as not all examples of a particular CPU can be overclocked to the same level.

Cheers,

Noel.

Overclocking, carefully done, is minimally risky.

Worst possible outcome would be that you HAVE to update to a 2600K (as opposed to choosing to!) That is pretty unlikely if you are systematic and careful.

My favourite guide to overclocking:

/>http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

Read through it a bit before doing anything.

Allangai,

I too was scared of OC and had 0 understanding. I read this guide and gave it a crack:

/>http://images.tweaktown.com/imagebank/Core%20i7%20920%20oc%204G%202008.12.12_(ENG).pdf

Got my i7 950 from the stock 3 up to 4 comfortably. Runs great. Just put an ok cooler on it. I run a Noctua air cooler.....thought they take up a lot of room.

Allangai,

I too was scared of OC and had 0 understanding. I read this guide and gave it a crack:

http://images.tweaktown.com/imagebank/Core%20i7%20920%20oc%204G%202008.12.12_(ENG).pdf

Got my i7 950 from the stock 3 up to 4 comfortably. Runs great. Just put an ok cooler on it. I run a Noctua air cooler.....thought they take up a lot of room.

Like Matt, I too have OC my i7 950 from 3.05 to 4Ghz with fantastic results. I achieve 30 frames in the VC of all my add on GA at all the Orbx small airports such as Darrington, Concrete, KORS etc with autogen set at dense. Do not believe everything you hear about OC, like Ian said, if done carefully and without being greedy, you can comfortably OC most CPU's although the i7 does it with relative ease. I would suggest what has already been said, try and get your head around overclocking, you have the perfect CPU to OC anyway. One thing I would mention before closing is, it's interesting you say for some reason you 'need' 30 frames. Be careful you don't chase framerates for the hell of it, if you do, you will end up being very disappointed, especially if you go to AUS and fly YCBS or YMML! IMO it is very easy to ruin FSX for yourself by becoming so obsessed with framerates that you forget about the enjoyment of flying, this is very easy to do if you chase framerates. It's smoothness that matters. I won't go too much into cfg tweaks, only to say that I have had a good result from having a number of tweaks in my cfg file that include the BUFFERPOOLS RejectThreshold and the AffinityMask tweaks. The Bufferpools tweak has given me a 30% increase in framerates, but I have had to spend a lot of time and tuning to enable a smooth flight from introducing the tweak. But if you are going to explore any cfg tweaks you need to have everything else in good order beforehand, so as the guys have said, explore the OC of the i7.

Hi,

Then again, I have my setup at stock speed, old system and I still achieve 30fps everywhere. I run with autogen at dense and only use bufferpools reject and highmemfix. So there you go, confusing hey.

Sorry, forgot to add that I run in Anaglypgh 3D all the time. I must admit, not Antialiasing but not needed in 3D.

Kind Regards

Bernie

Hi,

Then again, I have my setup at stock speed, old system and I still achieve 30fps everywhere. I run with autogen at dense and only use bufferpools reject and highmemfix. So there you go, confusing hey.

Sorry, forgot to add that I run in Anaglypgh 3D all the time. I must admit, not Antialiasing but not needed in 3D.

Kind Regards

Bernie

Bernie, you say you get 30 frames everywhere, but is that in the VC and with an add-on aircraft? Are you running REX?

Bernie, you say you get 30 frames everywhere, but is that in the VC and with an add-on aircraft? Are you running REX?

Hi Rockliffe,

I use only the scenery on 5 computers using wideview and widetraffic and run prosim737 on the server and about to do some hardware interfacing. Yes I do use Rex. I have no cockpit parts showing on the screens as I am inside a cockpit. I do not suffer from the stutters and since I have stopped using the External Limiter, I do not suffer from the Blurries.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

Hi Rockliffe,

I use only the scenery on 5 computers using wideview and widetraffic and run prosim737 on the server and about to do some hardware interfacing. Yes I do use Rex. I have no cockpit parts showing on the screens as I am inside a cockpit. I do not suffer from the stutters and since I have stopped using the External Limiter, I do not suffer from the Blurries.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

Blimey Bernie, all I can say is that's one impressive rig!

Blimey Bernie, all I can say is that's one impressive rig!

I tried to post a picture of the setup but not sure how it is done here. Do you need to post it somewhere else and then link it here?

Unfortunately, when I had the computers built, I had the wrong motherboard installed and hence no Overclocking. I find that if I take care how I install and keep it all tidy and defragged, it runs well. I used to use the building and tree tweaks, but do not use them anymore.

I have just found recently that it also runs better when not using Gamebooster. I found, hard to believe, but it was causing stutters.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

I tried to post a picture of the setup but not sure how it is done here. Do you need to post it somewhere else and then link it here?

Unfortunately, when I had the computers built, I had the wrong motherboard installed and hence no Overclocking. I find that if I take care how I install and keep it all tidy and defragged, it runs well. I used to use the building and tree tweaks, but do not use them anymore.

I have just found recently that it also runs better when not using Gamebooster. I found, hard to believe, but it was causing stutters.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

Bernie, to post a screen shot upload to http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/ once uploaded you are taken to a page, simply copy the code that appears beneath Code to post the photo in a forum: Then just paste it in your post and hey voila!

Thank you very much for all the help and I'm very pleased with the friendly environment in these forum.

Cheers!

Yeah, I hang around other forums, not very often though and by far the friendliest bunch of guys are found here ;)

Bernie, to post a screen shot upload to http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/ once uploaded you are taken to a page, simply copy the code that appears beneath Code to post the photo in a forum: Then just paste it in your post and hey voila!

Hi rockliffe,

Thanks for the info, the actual photo was going to be of my sim room. I will post that in the other forums when I have the latest photo.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

Archived