Somebody give me hope

chumley

I have had this aircraft in my hangar for the last 18 months or so but haven't yet got her started let alone off the ground without blowing up the engines.

I just pulled it out again yesterday and it has the tug attached is is headed right back inside.

I follow the tutorial to start the thing but try as I might even though I get the engines started I get one, usually the right, to shutdown. When I restart kboom!!

Ah well, back to the manual for something a little more attuned to my pea like brain. This certainly rules out the NGX for me. Realism = Frustration nin my case. >:(

Andy b

Andy, dont park this aircraft in the hanger. If you want, I can walk you through on teamspeak.

Thanks for thr offer.

It's a bit late right now but I will give it a word by word try again tomorrow evening and see how I go.

I must admit that this baby looks good and I expect I have the system grunt to run it.

I'll get back if I can't get her going tomorrow.

Then of course I will have to work out how to get teamspeak up and running - not very bright sometimes when it comes to these things :blink:

Regards

Andy b

Did you follow the tutorial in the manual or the tutorial in the PMDG support forums? The former is missing some crucial information about unfeathering the props before attempting an engine start. That's why I also had problems in the beginning. Once I followed the forum tutorial I never had a problem again:

/>http://forum.avsim.net/topic/261431-js41-startup-guide/

The tutorial is not that good in explaning to start the engines. I think I know what went wrong with you. First of all you musnt restart the enginge when the temperature is above 200°. That directly leads to a burnout.

But I think you hadnt unfeatherd the props. So the engine wont finish the startup. Just do as said in the link from jigsaw.

Did you follow the tutorial in the manual or the tutorial in the PMDG support forums? The former is missing some crucial information about unfeathering the props before attempting an engine start. That's why I also had problems in the beginning. Once I followed the forum tutorial I never had a problem again:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/261431-js41-startup-guide/

The Manual.

Thanks for the link. I have had a quick squiz, downloaded it and will add it to the mix tomorrow.

Cheers

Andy b

I have just got this plane recently, and have burned up about 30 engines. I finally figured out the order, this is for a standard flight not the tutorial. The problem I had was unfeathering both engines at once, it has to be done by unfeather one, then start it, then unfeather the other then start it, this list may not be proper, I made it for my kindle so I can get up and away without burning up engines.

PMDG J41 CHECKLIST

SHIFT + 2 Set chocks and GPU

GPU - ON

Standby fuel pumps on

CAP - Mute

Condition lever - TAXI

Spoilers - ARMED

Park Brake ON

Avionics - OFF

unfeather left prop

Left engine Start

Unfeather right prop

Right engine start

Fuel pumps OFF

reverse throttles to remove start locks

Avionics - ON

Inty, the reason you are having problems with the second engine is because it appears you are not pulling the throttle levers into full reverse prior to using the unfeather switch. If you read the manual it will explain that the position of the levers in full reverse will position the stop locks such that after the props are moved to the unfeather position and the hydraulic pressure is removed, the props relax back onto the locks. Now you are ready to start anytime. It is the same action as when you shut down where you wait until the RPMs are below 50% and then you move the throttle levers to full reverse. This will allow the props to settle on the stop locks set by the levers in reverse position.

After the props are settled on the stop locks you can then move the throttle levers foward to neutral.

Hope this helps.

The J41 is an awesome aircraft once you get the hang of it, It was a bit of a challenge for me. Im generally a tubeliner and like a fair bit of automation, Theres none of that on this bird haha. A thourough reading of the manual is very helpful but very time consuming. I found the tutorial videos on youtube to be somewhat helpful and gave a clear understanding of what needs to be done. The FMS is a bit tricky after being used to the Boeing/MD-11/Airbus CDU's but you can get used to it with a little practice. Persevere through it and you will not regret it :D I love my J41!!!

Regards, Luke Stevens

There is hope :D

Got the beastie started and after some torque inconsistency issues (traced to an unconfigured throttle controller in FSUIPC for this aircraft) I taxiied the aircraft to Rwy34 at Canberra and set sail for a quick left hand circuit over Black Mountain, Parliament House to land once again on Rwy34 left. Taxiied in shutdown and am now smiling.

I can see some hours being spent on this but I must say my first impressions are that this is one heck of an aircraft and spells fun.

Incidentally, I'm one for smoothness over frames but a quick peek at the counter was quite refreshing with FPS in the high 20s.

Thanks to all for your support and encouragement with a special thanks for the offers of help and the referral to Andrew McCluskey's brief but informative tutorial on AVSIM.

Cheers

Andy b

Got the beastie started and after some torque inconsistency issues (traced to an unconfigured throttle controller in FSUIPC for this aircraft) I taxiied the aircraft to Rwy34 at Canberra and set sail for a quick left hand circuit over Black Mountain, Parliament House to land once again on Rwy34 left. Taxiied in shutdown and am now smiling.

That's great to hear. The J-41 is a joy to fly and as you may notice soon, as you get more accustomed to her, that she isn't as complex and hard to manage as she lets on in the beginning.

I have had this aircraft in my hangar for the last 18 months or so but haven't yet got her started let alone off the ground without blowing up the engines.

I just pulled it out again yesterday and it has the tug attached is is headed right back inside.

I follow the tutorial to start the thing but try as I might even though I get the engines started I get one, usually the right, to shutdown. When I restart kaboom!!

Ah well, back to the manual for something a little more attuned to my pea like brain. This certainly rules out the NGX for me. Realism = Frustration in my case. >:(

Andy b

hi i've the same problem . just go to youtube . there's some really good vids. that'll show you all you need to know

Oh yes, I almost forgot: if the engine start fails for some reason or you have to restart the engines after shutting them down, never ever try restarting the engines before the exhaust gas temperature (EGT) has gone below 200° again. Otherwise you will experience the mentioned "kaboom", caused by overheating the engines!

Archived