Double Airport AFCAD Listings with FTX

eposone

Dear all

with the airport scanner I have noticed that several of the airports with the PNW or AU region selected has double listings of airports, normally the second airport is labeled with ALT in the file name assuming this is an alternate airport scenery?

My question would be why are there double listings and alternates and which one of the two files can i back up and remove from there so i only have one?

I guess if you have two airports listed that would take a frame rate hit?

thanks much

Hi Ian

You mean that this altitude file belongs together with the first file but has to be separated into two files? Can you explain me what you mean with your second sentence if an airport altitude is adjusted?

thanks

If you change the airport altitude from the FSX default altitude, you need to create an Altitude adjustment bgl. Why, ask Microsoft. Unfortunately they have incorrect altitudes and even airport placements for many of the airports in FSX.

Without that Altitude adjustment file, your aircraft will stay at the FSX default altitude even though the developer has set his upgraded airport at the correct altitude.

No performance issue ... HOWEVER ... duplicate AFX type files, not organised by scenery hierarchy may cause CTD (Crash to Desktop) type errors.

There is no advantage to having the extra files ... and indeed they may conflict with the surrounding terrain.

The enhanced airport files that ship with FTX NA regions have been made to match both charts and surrounding terrain. That is why the altitudes have been adjusted from those in the "stock" FSX database.

HI folks,

A bit of info on the elevation adjustment files that come with the ORBX airports. When anyone changes the elevation of an airport (at least in ADE with which I'm familiar) an ALT file is created in the FSX Scenery/World/Scenery file. For our airports we change the file name to include the suffix "_elevation_adjustment", ex: ADE_FTX_CRM_1U3_elevation_adjustment.BGL. If I go back later and work on that airport ADE will kick out a new ALT file, ex: ADE_FTX_CRM_1U3_Murphy_CVX_ALT.BGL, which is superfluous and can be removed. Leaving them there won't hurt anything but it's just one more file FSX must read.

This explains why add'l elevation files can show up for one airport.

Cheers, Neil

okay so best would be to leav it in there and havge just my mesh, scenery, utilities sorted correctly with SCM2004. got it. btw i have still this netframework error message as in my other post, but i get it also with FSX just now when i approached in Paris, also with vroute premium and with skype one, should i remove it from the windows and reinstall it with windows update? i am lost here...

I think that's a (different) add-on issue.

FSX runtime does not use dotNET as far as I am aware ... but i suspect another add-on you are using may very well (perhaps Vroute premium) ... and it is likely to be that which causes an unhandled Exception.

FTXCentral uses dotNET, but it is not (or at least should not be) running when FSX is running.

Archived