PNW - strange error message after FSX shutdown

tatankamani

Hi,

I have installed ORBX PNW the very first time. Upon shutdown of FSX, I get each time, a strange error message (see attachment),which I have not experienced ever bevor. Decativating PNW in Scenery Library , causes FSX to shutdown without displaying mentioned error message. Updates to PNW scenery did not cure the problem. Can anybody help ?

My system: i7-2600k, 8GB RAM, GTX580, WIN 7/64prof, FSX+Acceleration, ENB-series

Posted Image

Hi,

I think this is related to the KSEA airport file, Holger or Neil would know more about this than me I'm sorry

Browse to <FSX>\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_PNW05_SCENERY\scenery and look for ADE_FTX_PNW_KSEA_Seattle-Tacoma_Intl.bgl

Make a backup of this file first then delete it from the above folder

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem and haven't applied the fix as suggested ...yet. My question is, "what do I lose at KSEA if I delete the mentioned file?"

I'd like to enjoy 100% of NA Blue PNW, if possible.

Your response appreciated.

I tried the suggestion to remove ADE_FTX_PNW_KSEA_Seattle-Tacoma_Intl.bgl from <FSX>\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_PNW05_SCENERY\scenery. This did not solve my problem. Also, it really screws up the scenery at KSEA. I gladly placed that file back where it belongs.

The only time I see the "Flight Simulator has stopped working" message pop-up window is when I voluntarily shut down FSX. I tried setting FTX Central back to the FSX Default scenery and the problem was the same...the old pop-up message after shutting down FSX.

I should mention that I did not have this problem until I installed some OZx scenery which caused FSX to crash when running. I removed the OZx add-on scenery and had to un-install FSX as a final attempt to resolve the FSX crashing issue.

I'm using Windows 7.

Anyone have experience with this issue and have a solution.

Responses appreciated.

I guess it appears that I'm posting messages to myself :lol: but I'm working diligently to resolve this issue and just want to let readers know the latest should you encounter the same problem with FSX.

I thought perhaps I may have missed something when reloading NA PNW scenery and to be sure, I un-installed it again to see if the "Flight Simulator has stopped working" message would stop appearing after closing FSX. This did not resolve the issue and while the message was up, I opened Task Manager and found that FSX was still running under "Applications" even though I had previously selected the "Exit" option and the program appeared to have closed. I highlighted FSX in the Task Manager window and selected "End Task" and as soon as the Program dissapeared from Task Manager window the "Flight Simulator has stopped working" message disappeared.

Given this new discovery, it would seem that Windows 7 or perhaps something within FSX itself is not being identified as closing or closed upon exiting FSX. Something is reading FSX as having closed unexpectedly and thus the message popping up stating the program has stopped working. So, it appears I may be a step closer to resolving the issue, but I'm unsure as what may be "tweaked" to fix the problem. If this rings a bell for anyone, please chime in.

If removing OZx didn't fix the issue, then installing OZx didn't start it. OZx is quite self-contained - only a couple of effects files (associated with a very few OZx mdls) and 2 dds's which are not used by default FSX anywhere I've seen - would be left behind. There's a difference between correlation and cause-and-effect - the challenge is to distinguish which one you're seeing in the "mega-multi-variable" PC environment.

It's human to resort to cause and effect as we often experience something due to the introduction of some variable, however, as you indicate, a more scientific (or technical) approach is more reliable, therefore I concede to a suspicion that OZx scenery may have caused the problem. However, that certainly was my first inclination since the problem I'm now having did not exist until OZx scenery was installed. In any case, I'm on a different track now with an hypothesis that perhaps the problem lies within FSX itself. It appears that Windows 7 (or something) does not acknowledge or recognize when FSX is closed by the user. Again, if anyone has some knowledge about this particular issue, please let me know.

Thanks

Archived