Can Orbx underexpose the people flow textures?

Kilstorm

Look at this post here which show a lot of people at Cushmans on a bright sunny day.

Cushmans

THe people look so over exposed compared to the rest of the scenery. I know they cant blend in with shadowing like the other objects and the idea is to give life to an airport while not killing fps but it seems the people flow library objects are perhaps over exposed. Or is it just me?

After the long winter we went though, I'm feeling a little overexposed myself. Perhaps they just need to visit one of the lovely FTX regions down under for a bit of a tan :)

Hehe, but seriously, I've never really noticed this on my own, but now that you mention it, I totally see what you're saying.

Edit: I will say though, Orbx can't plan for everyone's ENB settings and by looking at the sky in those photos, it looks like the user was using some fairly "contrasty" settings.

It's your ENBSeries setting. Example screenshot where the PF are dimmer:

Posted Image

John can you help me out with two things:

1) Where or what is the ENBseries settings and how should it be adjusted?

2) Does the ENB setting adjust just the PF or does it scale all the colors and visuals which would then turn down the color of the whole sim?

John can you help me out with two things:

1) Where or what is the ENBseries settings and how should it be adjusted?

2) Does the ENB setting adjust just the PF or does it scale all the colors and visuals which would then turn down the color of the whole sim?

The ENBseries is a free third party modification to FSX (and other games) to simulate a high dynamic range visually. It essentially dynamically adjusts aperture based on the amount of light entering the "lens," so if the camera looks towards a bright light source the simulated aperture closes and the contrast is increased. Looking towards a predominantly dark area causes the aperture to open and contrast is reduced. Discussion thread is here.

It is widely used and largely configurable by the user, and can result in significantly more realistic visuals, though it does have a fair frame hit. Myself? I wouldn't fly without it.

Cheers,

Derek

Hi guys, here's the deal...

When i made the characters, i made them with the least amount of poly's (angled faces) possible, this means the people are very 'angular' This is to maximise performance, and why PeopleFlow has hardly any negative impact on frames :)

However, these angles would stand out MUCH more than they currently do, if i allowed the SFX 'sun' to light the people in a directional manner (as the scenery is), because shaded faces would create hard lines of contrast all over the people. To avoid this, and to 'smooth out' the people's appearence i forced the FSX engine to illuminate the people with a constant level of light all over them, based on the intensity and colour of the FSX sun at any given time of day. This is the same method used to light tree's and clouds etc in FSX.

Because these people are illuminated by a constant light level from the FSX sun, they look a little bright when standing in front of scenery that is in the shade of the FSX sun, as the people receive no shaded surfaces, and that is the case for those screen shots you reference above. However, when looking at these people in front of sun lit building faces, they match up.

I could reduce the brightness of the human textures, but that would just create more problems as then the people would not match illuminated poly surfaces on nearby scenery, and would appear too dark. They can either match the shade, or match the direct sun light.....but not both.

Hope that makes sense.

Russ.

One reason I love these forums is that you actually get to interact with the people who developed the products.

and I must say that means alot to me as a customer... by the way just prepaid for kcmw and the lancair today thanx for that ORBX

Thank you for the insight and post Russ and Derek. Russ, I completely understand your post and kinda figured that would be the case as I wrote in my OP that they were there to be frame friendly and bring life to the airports. However, I do notice something that might be part of the issue. Seems that those people wearing bright clothes are the ones that really stick out. If you look at the picture John posted, the lady sitting down wearing white shirt and light blue pants with blonde hair, and the guy standing with the white shirt and nantucket reds stand out way more than the old man sitting in denim sitting next to the man reading the paper.

My point is, perhaps the color choices of clothes could help tone them down some as something to think about. That and hair color. So instead of puttign a blonde in a white shirt or yellow, make her a brunette or put the blonde in some dark clothes. I know it sounds nickpicking but it might help if the right colors are used to work together if later these PF character are updated.

Just so you know I'm fine with them but since Orbx strives to be the best, this is just feedback from a customer point of view.

Disregard what I said. I got home, loaded up the sim and saw that unlike the pics I used as an example, my sim settings are closer to Johns and the bright clothing doesnt stand out like in those pics and the PF looks normal.

Archived