Caranado Windscreen

Bulldog

Hi all...... Just bought the Mooney and asking myself why I didn't get it sooner.

Outstanding aircraft to fly. One question though.....Is the windscreen supposed

to be dirty or can one clean it?  ::)

Guest Aussieman

Buy a bottle of Windex or Barrs Bugs  ;D.

Some aircraft makers put bug splats on the windscreens to give a used look.

Cheers

Pat

Guest Aussieman

I knew someone would mention Windex   ;D

Couldn't resist it mate. That type of answer was a obvious as dog's b***s  :D

Cheers

Pat

Hi all...... Just bought the Mooney and asking myself why I didn't get it sooner.

Outstanding aircraft to fly. One question though.....Is the windscreen supposed

to be dirty or can one clean it?  ::)

Hey Bulldog, there is a simple way to just "delete" the windscreen textures altogether, thereby cleaning them  ;) , details are contained in one of the following posts. Be very careful with this though (back up!!) as some people have had mixed results (read the forum posts in detail for more info on this)

Better still, install russwhite's HD cockpit upgrade. The windscreens are dirty, but it's just like real life..

Here are some useful links from within the forum:

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=3100.60 (check the top of the 3rd page on how to remove the windscreen textures altogether)

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=3419.0 (russwhite's great cockpit upgrade)

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=3201.0 (russwhite's great cockpit upgrade)

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=3213.0(australian registered repaints for the mooney)

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=3788.0(extra resources for flying your mooney)

I also recommend Private-Cowboy's sound upgrade available at http://rapidshare.com/files/129717983/Sound.zip.html. It's a big improvement on the stock Mooney sounds..

Cheers, Steve.

This seems a good place to ask a couple of questions:

Can Russ's VC be added to all the defaults,

Or can the Australian repaints that are available only be applied to the 'red' Carenado Mooney so that I can continue to fly it in preference to the originals which I no longer wish to fly.

Yes the VC is scratched and dirty like real life.  But it has one advantage.  Pick a dirt spot or mark in line with your eye - line it up with the spot on the runway you want to land on - and maintain the relationship and you will land exactly every time.  You may find you need to reduce or increase throttle (to alter your flight path not your speed) but it is one of the oldest aids in the book to establish a constant descent angle.  Try it, because the Mooney with Russ's VC has a real world windscreen complete with scratches and spots.

This seems a good place to ask a couple of questions:

Can Russ's VC be added to all the defaults,

Or can the Australian repaints that are available only be applied to the 'red' Carenado Mooney so that I can continue to fly it in preference to the originals which I no longer wish to fly.

Hi Ian. Yes to the first question!! Firstly install the HD cockpit to the .red texture,

Then install all of the repaints that you would like to use to their new individual folders eg "texture.VH_JXC", "texture.VH_SOM", "texture.VH_AKF" etc (you can keep your .red texture as painted externally by Carenado)

Then follow this is  quick cut'n'paste of Russ's response to the above question from another thread:

macca22au, to make the new cockpit upgrade available to all Mooney liveries, copy the following textures from the RED mooney texture folder into each of the other Mooney livery texture folders (eg "texture.VH-SOM"). (make a backup of the original textures before overwriting!)

VC1L.bmp

VC1R.bmp

VC3.bmp

VC4.bmp

VC5.bmp

VCPISO.bmp

WindowsInt.bmp

This will leave the exteriors unchanged, but give you Russ's HD cockpit for each texture..

Hope that makes sense... ??? Hope Russ doesn't mind my snipping his advice  ;)..

If anyone else can lend a more straightforward technique, please help out..

Good luck, let us know how you go Ian..

Many thanks Sqeeker.  I am away from my FSX computer for the rest of the week - I am suffering withdrawal symptoms already - but will make those changes asap.

It is a bit tizzy I know, but I like to fly a plane with local reg in any country that I am flying in.  With heavies its not so bad, you can choose a livery of an airline that

In the real world anyone that uses Windex on an Aircraft Plexiglass will suffer the wrathe of a 100 LAME's  This is a BIG no no the Ammonia in it will tend to make the Plastic cloudy and brittle over time. There are other products especially made for Perspex and Plexiglass.

( Source ) My friendly Mooney owner in Bankstown.

Paint to be released soon

I love the dirty windscreens on russwhite's upgrade.  For me it's now the only cockpit where you really feel your inside something... :)

I don't mind it on my virtual windscreen by IRL mine are always clean. I certainly wont fly with oil splatter on em!

Steven.

Here's a quick comparison between real life and the sim.

The real windscreen is grubbier than Russ's upgrade with a few small stonechips..also you can see the results of windex in the crazing on the plexiglass..

Another question for the forum: These screenies show sim vs real: the same aircraft (VH-SOM), same time, same day, same weather, same flightpath (Just SE of Perth WA, overhead Dale River looking towards Forrestdale Lake). Why is the sky a different colour?? Are there any apps out there that will tweak this?

Overhead YDVE

Posted Image

Final 24R YPJT

Posted Image

The sky is a different colour because that's the default FSX dusk sky I presume. If you use a tool like FEX or the upcoming REX you can actually create your own variations of sky colours either based on other people's uploaded themes or even converting that actual photo to a bitmap and matching the colours that way. It takes a little tweaking but using tools like those and some creativity it's possible to match your local sky conditions almost 1:1

Cool, thanks John. I actually own FEX, and clearly haven't explored its full potential yet. I'll start playing with it now. I haven't flown at dusk or night much, but decided to re-create this particular flight for the heck of it..I tend to fly around in full sunlight to best take in the VFR glory of ORBX!!! Thanks again for the wonderful product!!

Ta

Steve

The circular crazes in the Aircraft Windscreen are due to people polishing it in circles ( a big no no ) always polise along the panel lines or up and down on windows so that any crazing caused by grit trapped in the cleaning cloth only makes marks in one direction which reduces any glare through the plexiglass.

That Gem of info came from a LAME attached to the Army Aviation School at Okay QLD  since employing that method all the glider canopies of the club I belonged to were spotless. I employed the same technique on my Jeep and this (I assume because there weren't scratch visible) resulted in close to $9000 more trade in when the Wife and I bought the Voyager. 

Archived