FTX Beta Shots 0085-0091

This week we've begun the autogen annotation, starting with the vegetation. The tree textures are only placeholder ones from VOZ - we still have to complete our own new tree libraries based on hundreds of photos we've taken over the past few month. However, it does give an indication of how things are looking with more autogen enabled.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow, now we're talking... 

Koorb's, isthat max autogen with max complexity?...  The trees certainly look dense.  I really like the non repetitive nature of the landclass which accentuate the "realness" of the vegetation.

It will be great to see Australian trees in the frame, which brings me to the thought of just how complex your project is, given you are covering so many regions of so much of the world.  Just how many variations of trees can you have?

Cheers and thanks for sharing and time for a vide soon methinks  ;D

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes that is max autogen which can hurt frames a bit, but even dragging the slider back a bit does not take anything away from the experience. Autogen density has increased tenfold in FSX over FS9, meaning 6000 trees per km sq. and 3000 houses. We hand-annotate every single trees to within a metre of the trunk location, and we place the max of 6000 trees in forested areas.

The downside is, FSX has re-architected the trees autogen structure to the detriment of Australia, meaning instead of 16 different eucalyptus trees to choose from, we now only have two!!! This means, sadly, we need to use some tricks to enable a variety of tree textures and avoid repitition  - we'll let you use the front-end GUI to switch between tree set (again, because FSX does not have enough flexibility to keep custom tree files in local directories outside the core directories). We could create custom objects and annotate that way, but that would mean editing the default.xml file which is fraught with danger, since this file could be edited by users and other developers as well.

These shots show the new paddocks and fields custom landclass at work around Hobart, and yes it really does add that Aussie feel to the area now :)

With UTX USA and Canada, I believed they were as good as it got.  Now with the Orbx screenshots I see that you have made a quantum leap technically that lifts scenery to a another level.

I find this style of scenery more satisfying than photoreal scenery, and I am sure that there will be a move to your scenery rather than to the vast but flat world of 2D photographs (although I know autogen is now being added).

The bugbear with FSX is autogen - and I know that you will be trying to make it all as framerate friendly as possible without us having to dumb the whole thing down.

We want Australia, but I can understand why you would like a PNW on the shelves.  It will change flightsimming absolutely and attract a large market.

Combining with the FEX people is a brilliant move, and bringing Holger in will add to the awesome technical skills at your disposal.

But please remember us...

Wow, these preview shots look amazing.  I live in the USA but will get this for the 1st section.  The first section your doing is an amazing part of Australia and will be cool to check out, dont think I can wait untill mid 2008.  Cant wait to see some more screen shots.  ?, these are from in game right? its hard to tell it looks that amazing! keep up the good work.

Archived