Tour Around AUGold - YSSY-YCNK >Transition flight<

Delare

Here's the transition flight from AUBlue to AUGold ;D As mentioned before, the tour around AUGold will be flown with the Piper Cheyenne. I did some test flights before starting this tour, but after this flight I see I still need to practice my landings. As you will see in the screenshots, I overshot the runway :D You'll also see the braking mark, and yes, I had to stamp the pedals down to get her to stop! I reveresed the props, but my speed was too high for the Cheyenne to stop at this runway.

I am able to start the Cheyenne from cold & dark, takeoff, climb, but I'm still not getting totally hang of the descent, approach and landing. It's especially the speed I'm having problems with. If I reduce the throttles just a bit too far on the approach, the speed will go beneath the blue marker, which results in problems (stall). I used the IIXL model, which is the biggest in the Cheyenne serie, so I will try to use a smaller model the next time. They're more or less the same but maybe it's easier to control the speeds.

This flight takes us from Kingsford Smith International to Cessnock.

Anyway! Here's the screenshots. I really hope you will enjoy the watch, and since it's the transition flight I included a few more screenshots, 36 in total!

Parked at Kingsford Smith

Posted Image

Posted Image

Taxing to runway 34R

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

One of the terminals at Kingsford Smith

Posted Image

Just before crossing the runway

Posted Image

A tower at Kingsford Smith, anyone know what it's used for?

Posted Image

The air traffic control tower

Posted Image

Finally at the runway. Getting ready for takeoff, setting flaps 15, contacting tower

Posted Image

Lined up, ready for takeoff!

Posted Image

Airborne, climbing

Posted Image

Kingsford Smith International

Posted Image

Posted Image

Passengers view, still climbing

Posted Image

Goodbye Sydney

Posted Image

On cruise

Posted Image

Posted Image

FSWC in use

Posted Image

Scenery shot, still in the AUBlue region

Posted Image

Posted Image

Passengers view

Posted Image

Looking at the great textures ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awesome cabin!

Posted Image

The transition to the AUGold region! Handed over to Brisbane Center. Bye for now AUBlue region

Posted Image

The first view of AUGold textures, very nice! 8)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Approaching Cessnock, trying to control the speed!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Steep approach, don't want to hit those trees!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The position where the aircraft came to a complete stop, might need to check those brakes now! :D

Posted Image

That's it! The tour around AUGold has started!

Shame about the airport scenery.

Cessnock (YCNK) has a full length taxi-way on the western side with triple warmup bays at each end. (not even Port Macquarie and Hobart have that)

Then there's the parking apron outside the flying school offices, the new hanger and fuel depot - plus the private hangers on the western side.

Oh, and the trees at the 35 end of the runway are no where near that close.

Loved the pics - reminds me of flying the lanes out of Bankstown to Patonga to exit Sydney Control - Thanks.

Nice shots, but I can see why you are having trouble landing. 140kts on late final is way too hot. I'm not familiar with the Cheyenne but I'd expect a stall speed of under 100kts with full flaps. Try getting the speed down to 105-110kts on final and see how you go. But you should look up the recommended approach speed.

Cheers,

Greg

Guest Aussieman

Delare ...... great shots mate. Shows up the FTX scenery really good.

I would also like to thank you for posting 36 photos. I have a slow internet and it allowed me to go to the kitchen and put the jug on to make a cup of coffee. While that was boiling I also had time to feed the dog, make the coffee, return to my computer and drink half the cup of coffee before all the shots were loaded  :).

Yes I do get a bit grumpy at times and this is one of them. 12 screenies could have told the same story for such a short trip. Pity help those on dial up. Probably still waiting for them to load  >:(.

Having said that I will now go and finish reading the forums and wait for the kick in the a**e from the mods  ;D ;D

Cheers

Pat

Guest Aussieman

Nice shots, but I can see why you are having trouble landing. 140kts on late final is way too hot. I'm not familiar with the Cheyenne but I'd expect a stall speed of under 100kts with full flaps. Try getting the speed down to 105-110kts on final and see how you go. But you should look up the recommended approach speed.

Cheers,

Greg

Properly trimmed for slow flight it is easy to get the speed down to the proper apprach and landing speed.

Cheers

Pat

@737-8FE: Yeah I also thought they looked improved :)

@BennyHill: It's a pitty that many default airports are poorly made. Hopefully Orbx or OZx will make a better version in an update ;)

@tom: Thank you very much.

@grumman: Yes my speed was too high, and in the manual is says a speed around 110kts is in general good for landing. In this situation my problem was that I kinda had to dive due to finding the airport late (visual approach), and it was very difficult to control my speed with my former throttle. I have now bought the Saitek yoke and quadrant and it's way better! ;)

@Aussieman: I am deeply sorry for the problem this topic has caused for you. I would of put a warning in the topic header but it was already pretty long. My normal posts only include around 10-14 screenshots each, and 36 was just for this flight. Sorry again.

Hey Delare,

I got my computer configured with a dedicated 500gb drive solely for flight sim X and another 750gb drive I use for doing productivity, such as dvd work and graphics, etc.

I have a kick ass system, so when I am doing productivity (such as the full blown authored DVD that I'm doing at the moment) I don't have access to FSX but I like to log on to this forum regularly.

One of my favourite past-times has been checking out the community screenshots and the little story lines simmers have come up with.

I think they are fantastic!

And I thank you for your efforts and loved the shots. I personally didn't have to go boil any jugs, feed the cat or anything waiting for your shots.

Keep up the good work mate.

Frank

Archived