[MUST READ, DON'T SKIP] Essential info on FS Water Configurator

Jay Kae

let's assume it was a lil extended Beta test for FSWC ;)

I'm sure that the boys are green of disgust that their file could cause such havoc and I'm above all convinced that they did their outmost testing and such, but again it's whatever you test at the end of the day there are systems out there that seems able to trip over every grain (bit) on it's path.

I had a big problem with it and was lucky enough to be able to restore my system without that sort of damage, but I must admit I am peeved that it was a "GREAT piece of software" and touted on this forum.

I know that people using the forum are not responsible for the efforts of others but I will be more cautious next time I see a recommendation.

I know it sounds like sour grapes, but the fact is, it takes weeks and months to get a system set up properly to run fine with the necessary software and it only takes one "Great piece of software" to bring it all down........grrrr

Frank

P.S. Hope this post doesn't cause a stir....

I had no problem with the install, I just recreated the path exactly with a different drive letter. Though I would have preferred to just change the drive letter on the install screen without having to go through the browse nonsense.

Don't flame people on the forums that recommended the product, I still recommend it, the water textures are great!

That is why you have us around, we go by the name of 'EA' .. stands for Early Adopters  ;D Before I do ANYTHING to my FS installation, I run a Ghost of it, if something goes wrong then... who cares, I just restore my Ghost :) Gotta love Symantec ;)

Hey guys, I'd really like to say sorry about all the issues.

The software issues are fixed, but we're testing it finally to make sure.  FSWC's UNINSTALLER WILL NO LONGER WIPE OUT EVERYTHING IN THE FOLDER IT'S INSTALLED INTO, it'll only wipe out itself.

Additionally, if the path it's going to install into is ends in anything other than "FS Water Configurator", that part will automatically be added, so if for some reason someone manages to get the old installer in there (the type that should have a restraining order placed against them regarding computers), then it should be safe.

Once again, many many apologies to those who've been effected.  Many Many thanks to JayKae for creating this thread to warn anyone around here about the issue.

WOW, what a nightmare for some people, I'd be more than PO'ed losing so much stuff because of this.

I hope all those affected get back in the air real soon!!

I'm not even going to download the patch until others do now, I'm a little concerned with this now.

Dave

Thanks for the update - downloading now.

ANY software has the potential to have a bug that causes all sorts of disasters, no matter how well intended the developer is and how much testing the developer does.

If you love your FSX setup, back it up.  If you have files you don't want to lose, back it up.    DVD drives are 30 bucks, DVD's are less than 20 cents.

Assume the best, but be prepared for the worst.

Archived