FS Water Configurator - RELEASED

str1ker

Well, THAT was short lived. I took my water and turned it into a billion little black dots. I fly along with good water for a minute or so and WHAM, the water disappears.

Well, THAT was short lived. I took my water and turned it into a billion little black dots. I fly along with good water for a minute or so and WHAM, the water disappears.

Really?  Can you show me a screenshot please?  All the beta testers were running it fine.  You wouldn't be running RTM or SP1 would you?

Ok, I know what you are gonna say, there is one in every crowd- Well, yeah, and I'm it!

While all of you guys are singing the praises of this spectacular piece of software, I wish I'd never seen it.

I downloaded it and installed as per the instructions.

First flight and look what I get:

Posted Image

So, I go back to the configurator and try all of the settings and nothing!!

It doesn't change at all.

So, after playing around with it and all of my visual settings (which were just fine before this debacle!!), I give up and figure I can live without it, so I uninstalled it.

BUUUTTT!

Nothing has changed and I still got water every goddam where! My god, the world is in flood!!!

Can some of the Guru's here give an old man a clue as to what I have done.

Can it be that I am running a matrox and triple 22" screens or is it something more sinister that has been concocted in the bowels of the Microsoft laboratories???

HHHHEEEELLLLPPP!

Frank

Hi Frank,

Sorry to hear of your woes, but wouldn't the FSWC site be the best place to get help for this little "inconvinience" you're having ?  here we are just happy that we know something about FTX around here ;)

and if my memory serves me correct isn't there a reset defaults button somewhere on that control panel ?

Hi Frank, I would try to re-install FSWC, and then restore default values, and may close out of FSX, turn off FTX Mode, then turn on FTX mode and see if that helps.  Not sure what else to try on this one.  Would not think that changing the water shaders with FSWC would have any impact on the ground textures like you are seeing. 

Good luck on this issue, wish I had a better idea. 

You are dead right Wolter, but I am so used to getting the RIGHT info from here rather than waiting an eternity to hear from other so-called professionals.

Having said that, I tried correcting the problem by reinstating my original FSX.cfg file, so I'll see how that goes before panicking. No, wait, I already did that (panic, I mean)....hahaha....thanx guys appreciate the help.

Frank

just a quick thought I had..do you run any of the Ultimate Terrain packages?

Remember I had a brief  problem losing all my water, opposite of your situation, but all I did was re-run the quick setup of UTX ????

Dave

Hi Frank,

Sorry to hear you are having troubles. This is a strange one! There is no way that changing the shader file could mess up your ground textures. Have you uninstalled FSWC? Uninstalling puts the original shader file back as it was before install. If you are still getting this issue after uninstalling then I would hazard that something else is causing it not FSWC - maybe UTX as was suggested.

If everything is normal after uninstalling FSWC, then this may an issue with a corrupt shader file - but even then it should only affect the water not the land. Are you using FSX SP1 or SP2? There are issues with FSWC and SP1 using certain settings.

email us at support@fswaterconfigurator.com and I'll try and help you out.

thanks

Paul

OK Gang,  I have been shooting some messages to the support guys at FSWC. I just shot them some screen shots of my problem. I have a relatively clean install of FSX with SP2. I fly around a bit and them BAM! This happens.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I dont have any UTX scenery installed. The only add-ons I have are FTX Blue and Gold. Plus a couple of planes.

All my video drivers are up to date.

I used the default setting in FSWC and it seems to work just fine. I ran it for 3-4 minutes and not glitch. Still waiting for a response from FSWC.

Thats good to know. The default setting still uses our modded shader file so it can't be that.

A wild stab in the dark... the extreme settings used in some of the presets are overloading the shader processing in your video card drivers...

Try using a preset that causes this, then move the 'reflection blend multiplier' back to 1 and apply and see if it makes any difference. My guess is there is a cut off point which send the gpu over the edge.

Paul

OK  I've identified the problem, however the solution evades me. The problem lies in the SUN SPECULAR REFLEXION INTENSITY. If I shut this down, the program (FSX and FSWC) work fine. Even turning it on to 1% will make the system freak out.

Some notes. when I replaced my drivers with the latest ones, I completely removed the old ones with DRIVER CLEANER so I know I have a good driver install. Also, obviously, this wasn't a TrayTools issue for future referance. I have used the PAULS FAVORITE preset for these tests. I tested the MOON REFLEXION inputs to see it it does it there. They work just fine in  multiple scenarios and FSWC presets. This is a Sapphire card. I wonder if there are issues with Sapphire???

Hi Roy,

I've replied to this on the Avsim thread... Thanks for taking the time to do this testing,.. If you don't mind doing a little bit more, I'm going to create a couple of custom shader files for you to try so we can get a better idea on whats going on.

They won't be ready till much later as I have a busy doay at work,

Thanks again

Paul

Hi Guys,

I have had a rough night.

I uninstalled fswc and still had the problem. Oh, and by the way, I am not UTX (whatever that is.)

The problem only happened after installing FSWC so I don't see how it could be anything else.

Ok, anyway, I had backed up my original fsx.cfg file so I found the corrupt one, dumped it and reinstalled the old one.

Voila! it's back to original again.

Sorry guys, don't know what went wrong but I'm gonna steer clear of it for a while.

Thanx for all the help, guys,

Frank

Frank,

glad you managed to get your water back!

Can I ask, reinstalling a backed up fsx.cfg fixed this? Strange, FSWC doesn't touch the fsx.cfg file...

I am curious about this issue. Do you happen to have the messed up fsx.cfg still so I can have a look at it. I'd like to try and work out what happened. What OS are you running and where is FSX installed to?

Thanks Frank

Paul

An important note to everyone - there is an issue with the uninstaller with FSWC v3.0.

If you installed to a location other than the default location ---DO NOT UNINSTALL---

We will be releasing a patch as soon as possible for this and then a new version of FSWC.

I'll try and let you know when its released.

thanks

Paul

Archived