SP2 or not? Advice sought

phil t

??? I am happy to say I've had NO issues with Orbx running FSX SP1 other than its awesome.  Koorby says I need SP2 to see all things proper like. Well, maybe I won't see my ported aircraft from FS9 too proper if I install SP2.  I particulary like Tim Conrad's Storch painted for my own use plus the Taylorcraft Auster WWII Aus Camo I have. ( its quite relaxing to be able to take a nap on finals). Anyone tried these a/c in SP2?  Secondly, if I want to return to SP1 is it a complete re-install of FSX?  Any advice here welcome.

My puter is only marginal for FSX (but OK ) and some nvideo driver considerations are delaying any upgrades for a while.

Cheers everyone from the Gold Coast.

For your second question, from memory, you can do it in the add/remove programs part of control panel.

I've had a world of trouble with Acceleration and/or SP2 (FSX would refuse to load**) that resulted in me having to uninstall it and stick with SP1.

** to this day still no idea, so Accelleration was the best waste of $40 bucks ever... wonder if it has anything to do with running DX10 on Win XP....

Hi Guywithabeer,

I went ahead and bought acceleration.  Mine also failed to install twice.  I finally decided it didn't like my virus protection so after switching them off it installed OK.  My take is definitely better frame rates (set unlimited) and FSWC seems happier also - still experimenting there.  I do get more blurries than before after switching views.  The new aircraft are a bit ho hum for me as I like to land fixed wings in suburban backyards and stuff.  Aside:  will Mr Conrad redo the storch or no?  So, is Acceleration worth the money?  For better fps, yes.  My FTX scenery looks a bit different somehow also.  Can't hardly wait for AU Green and will we get the big reef?

Anyway, thanks for your replies guys and 'bye from the Hinterland. ::)

phil,

IF,

you are using XP then it's "strongly" adviced to update that to SP3 as there is a noticable performance increase with fsX+SP1+Acceleration

I never ever mentioned SP3 beeing fo fsX, I referred to Service Pack 3 for XP

note to phil: read first, try to understand what's beeing said, then react.

Thanks for the tip Markwlee.

I have tried various frame rate settings and I agree blurries a bit worse at unlimited but then sometimes my fps gets a bit low at that setting.    With a 2.6 cpu its always a compramise.  I'm fairly happy though considering how little my computer cost to build.  Next year I might buy a Cray. :o :o ;D   

Cheers Phil.

I was also worried about installing Sp2 but I heard that some of the autogen and effects wouldn't work from Au Blue without it so I installed it beforehand and it gave me an incredible boost in performance (also using the tweaks in the manual) now going over forests is so smooth and that is where I would have the most trouble.

I havn't had a problem yet with it, my Aerosoft planes all had patches out that fixed the Sp2 problems so I'm happy!

Archived