Cant install FTX

mucha

G.Day, ive just purchased FTX Blue and Gold and when i try to load either i get an error message..

"ërror decompressing data, corrupted installer?"

heres my specs;

Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1

System Manufacturer: Dell IncSystem Model: XPS 630i

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad  CPU  Q9450  @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Memory: 3068MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Net Framework. 3.5

any help appreciated

My computer came with net framework 1.1 installed, so i tried to install net framework 2.- my computer wouldnt install it as it gives a message saying version 2 is already installed..

so, i tried to install version 3.0,  my computer wouldnt install that because it gives a message saying that windows XP sp2 is not installed  ( i have Vista, not Xp ???).

i have installed version 3.5- which is supposed to contain 2 and 3.0 as well...

the problem is definately with my computer ( which ive had for 3 weeks) and i strongly suspect the problem is caused by Vista.

Ive managed to install FTX blue on my old lap top- which has Xp and Net Framework 3.0..i could try and transfer the folders over to my new computer manually..but im not sure about the reg entries to activate  FTX mode.

Mucha,

Try this, open the contents of the DVD in Windows Explorer. Copy the .exe file from the disk to a temporary location on your hard drive. Double click the copied .exe file to start the installer and see if you still get the same error message.

Sounds to me like a slight problem with your DVD drive being able to properly read the disk. Let us know if this helped you out.

hmm.. tried everything, even downloaded a fresh copy of FTX Blue- same error message about corrupt installer..i installed Blue on My laptop ( which doesnt have FSX on it) and copied all of the files over to the FSx folder on my new Pc- found the FTX Mode Switcher in the  scrits folder..best i can get is the mission loaded, no scenery or textures..im also getting an error message when FSX loads saying:

Scenery CFG file error local scenery directory (Orbx\FTX_Au\FTXAu48_custom\scenery) in area 133 (to 136) not found ???

im starting to think that the only way ill get FTX to run on my machine will be to make copies of all the relevant default files and then swap them over with Blue and Gold when i use them ::)

Hi Mucha,

Glad to hear that the wrapper ran okay on your laptop but I am a little worried that what you did by copying the files over to your FSX installation may have been a bad idea. Reason being, by doing that you've more than likely overwritten a few default FSX files that would normally be backed up by the installer.

Not all is lost though and you should be able to recover things with a little assistance. I think one of the Orbx folk will have to help you further to get this "copied over" version of FTX working properly, and this will probably involve running the FTXConfigurator application to get the scenery entries in order and then maybe copying some default FSX files so that turning FTX Mode off gives you back the default files that were overwritten.

Hi mucha,Try this..control panel/programmes and features/.....Left side control panel...turn windows features on and off..click../select Micro net framework 3.0...select all options...OK.. restart computer .worked for me...hope this will help..cheers flylow

Thanks for thr input flylow, all those boxes where ticked..so i unticked them restarted the computer and have had some progress..

the installer finally got going and seemed to be installing into FSX, then i got an error message saying

not totally installed,

Orbx/FTX_Au\FTX48_custom\texture\041bwi2.bmp

invalid data (error21FC).

so switched on those net framework settings, restarted tried to reinstall..getting same error21FC message, although for different scenery areas, Adelaide, roads..

had a look in the FSX folder, theres an Orbx folder in there with Roads, Scenery , Shores and Custom folders but no switcher or exe files ???

I would love to be able to offer a solution, but this issue seems very much to be local environment on the Dell desktop PC. The fact that you installed it fine on the laptop suggests there is something tricky going on with the desktop. Try Adrian's suggestion above and report back. We will of course continue to offer what help we can, but this has me stumped, and I apologise for the trouble you're having. Hang in there, I am sure there is a solution somehow.

Also, copying an installed FTX from one PC to another is not going to work, since the installer does a lot of file preparation and just copying files across will lead to more problems than it solves. For obvious reasons we are not going to divulge what the installer does, because that will just give an open license for software pirates to create warez versions of FTX ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am also getting this error.

One version that I downloaded has the NSIS error. Another version that was downoaded to another PC gets through to about halfway and then errors with a

not totally installed,

Orbx/FTX_Au\FTX48_custom\texture\******.bmp

invalid data (error21FC)

I get this with both .net 3 and .net 3.5 installed (rebooting after either adding or removing).

I have not tried to fiddle with either the registry or files that are installed onto my PC.

Running windows XP SP2 (+all updates)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alex

Hi,

Thank you for your reply UHU

PC specs:

Athalon 64 3500

2gb Ram DDR 400 3200

NVidia 8800GTS

750GB of storage 200GB C:\ with 110GB spare

1GB ADSL connection (using AOL over a BT physical line).

AVG Free virus scanner

Not running SP3 as I have heard that some people have had problems, not sure what but I need to investigate this before proceeding.

The installation media that gets through to the detailled error was downloaded at work on a:

Dell Latitude D620 laptop work laptop

Centrino Duo

1gb Ram

McAfee virus scan

Very fast link

Thank you

Have tried to install it tonight 7 times. I thought I was getting somewhere as first time it got too 33%, then 40%, 69% and finally 71%. Thought I may be able to bump up the install in stages as the files that were failing would then be installed on the next try.

However on the next 3 attemts it went back to failing on files that had already been installed so the installer does not seem to be checking the files against what is already installed.

Shame as I was really looking forward to this add-on as well as the real flight spitfire which I bought on the same day (which does work).

Sorry that I haven't been able to reply sooner,

by the reply that you tryed to install and it got to different percentages, I think that you should try and clean out your browsers cache and all other related remmenants in there.

open Internet explorer:

Tools

Internet options

Browser History

Delete

apply "Delete All"

Also in "Browser settings" set the Browser cache to 80 mB, to use more is just a waste of resources

I know it sounds odd, but, if your temp folder get's overfilled, this is one of the things that are happening, as it has no option to store the data temporarely, the FTX files are rather large, and expanded almost 1 Gig, hence you'll need all the temp space you can get.

check out : C:\Documents and Settings\~your name~\Local Settings\Temp

open it and delete everything in there

Now try and install, start with AU_Blue, once that's installed, fire up fsX and let it rebuild it's Dbase, check in the scenery control panel if the entries are there, they should be on top of the listing, if so close fsX, repeat the actions as discribed above to clear out residual files, make SURE that FTX mode is set to OFF before installing FTXAU_Gold.

Not that I'm aware of mate, I can only suggest to get in touch with Adrian from the flightsimstore, put in a support ticket and reffer to this thread here to get this sorted, I have exausted my options, maybe someone else knows what the "trick" could be.

I'm very sorry not to be able to help you out here :(

Uhu,

I'm very gratefull for the help that you have given me. Thankyou for your advice.

Aus,

the errors are occuring after the program has been validated. And once the 2nd installer starts up. It starts installing the files(these appear under the FSX directory in an Orbxs folder) so it is definatley on the installation of files stage.

Cheers. I havent got round to running filemon yet or been able to try any other diagnostics for a couple of days as I have been working far too late.

Hopefully I should have more to report this weekend.

Success!! And it was thanks to you Uhu.

Your comment regarding the large expansion of files during the install gave me an idea.

I also downloaded a fresh copy of the software (only have 4 downloads left now  ;D ).

Also I used Winzip to open the zip file and not the compression software that comes with XP.

And finally and I think most importantly I noted that XP was controlling my virtual memory. So I set it to double my physical memory (2GB) so I set the Virtual to be a minimum of 4096 and max of 4096 the hit set and restarted my computer. Shut down all non important processes and also Anti Virus.

The software installed perfectly.

Thank you very much for your help Uhu.

I'm really pleased to hear that you got it working ! :)

small sidenote, set your virtual memory to 1,5 x your phisical memory, so 1,5 x 2048 = 3072  set the size fixed and not windows controlled,

you'll probably will notice some improvement in some areas handling files ;)

now get outta here and have some nice flights ;D

Archived