Wedgie Attack

Bandit

Just got back from Canberra after doing an inter-agency emergency services air observer course. During one of our nav flights in a Squirrel helicopter we were climbing to 3000' when we came under attack.... from a wedge tailed eagle. I saw the flash of brown out the corner of my left as the pilot threw the chopper in a steep right bank. Seems it thought we were a threat to its territory. Close call and a great course!

I remember back in 1987 after spending two weeks in the lovely garden spot of Port Keats Mission in the NT with Kiowa (Bell 206B), departing for Darwin and having a main rotor strike with a bloody pelican....

That was fun, it resulted in another week at Port Keats doing inspections on the aircraft, waiting for parts to arrive and test flying....

The mozzies in that place are so large they really should have registration numbers and their own ATC!

I remember back in 1987 after spending two weeks in the lovely garden spot of Port Keats Mission in the NT with Kiowa (Bell 206B), departing for Darwin and having a main rotor strike with a bloody pelican....

That was fun, it resulted in another week at Port Keats doing inspections on the aircraft, waiting for parts to arrive and test flying....

The mozzies in that place are so large they really should have registration numbers and their own ATC!

How in the hell a pelican didnt bring you guys down is a mystery, but hey I wasnt there, but the ones I come across are about 30 kgs lol

MAte I have only ever come close to seagulls in the yellow peril that I fly (Enstrom A model) and thats scary enough as I dont have the rotor speed an A star does, I cant imagine how shocking that would have been. I would have called ahead for the landing area to have new jocks ready! lol

Archived