FSX left behind ?

Aceshigh

Hi everyone, a few weeks ago I was bored one sunday afternoon so dug into my old game collection, old favorites going back from last year to almost 8 years ago.

Only a few worked? 

Some would not work on Windows 7, others would state I had the wrong type of "Unknown ram" or

"Unknown CPU", Graphic drivers incorrect, Unknown Direct X, others would not install unless direct X 5, 6 or 7 were present.

Some would start only to freeze or drop to the desktop.  Patchs and game support long gone....

So it worries me that as time goes by and new hardware arrives with new Windows versions will one day FSX not want to install or start?

With no new Microsoft Flight Simulator in development and FSX getting older by the day I hate to think it may happen.

I'm a dedicated Flight simmer and one can only keep old computers running for so long before spare parts are not available.

Just a thought..

:Mark

*Please someone enlighten me..  that this wont happen.  :)

With no new Microsoft Flight Simulator in development and FSX getting older by the day I hate to think it may happen.

I'm a dedicated Flight simmer and one can only keep old computers running for so long before spare parts are not available.

I guess you've been out of the loop as they say, because Microsofy IS working on a new sim and they have already started releasing info, screen shots, and a short preview video of it here.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

In fact ORBX has a seperate forum here on the subject of the new sim: http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?board=146.0

and some comparison screen shots between FSX and Flight here: http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=31170.0

Even if another sim wasn't going to come out, there's no reason you cant keep using FSX long after as long as you keep an operating system that it will work on. If you plan on upgrading computers, just keep the old one that has FSX on it and you will be all set.

I had no idea..  your reply was the first I knew of it and it put a smile on my face. 

Yes I have been out of the loop...   

Had not touched the Flight Sim since last July. (my Mum passed away july 2nd.)

thank goodness Microsoft is back to making Flightsims.  :)

Yes, one day FSX will no longer work and FSX and all the third party developed software will one day be 'no longer supported'.

FSX and a considerable amount of add-ons require internet connection to install. One day the companies behind these titles will no longer support the reinstall over the internet.

Also the operating systems will move beyond 64-bit and graphic cards will most move into new 3D technology.

I have a lot of stuff from FS98, FS2000 and FS2002 days that no longer work and was just about to trash them. Moving to New Zealand this Thursday so this is stuff I can't take with me this time. They have no value anymore anyways.

I had no idea..  your reply was the first I knew of it and it put a smile on my face. 

Yes I have been out of the loop...   

Had not touched the Flight Sim since last July. (my Mum passed away july 2nd.)

thank goodness Microsoft is back to making Flightsims.  :)

Glad to hear that it put a smile on your face and sorry to hear about your mom

As far as FSX not working in the future I wouldn't worry about it as long as you keep the harware its working on now, a copy of the OS your using and of course a copy of all the drivers needed to make it work.

Granted your OS, FSX, and your addons may no longer going to be supported, but as long as you have it all installed and working, it wont suddenly stop one day.

However, if your hardware breaks and you cant find a replacement that will work with your older OS, then you may have a problem. There maybe some extra work to get your older OS activated and FSX as well, if its not supported by MS at the time and the online activations don't work, but you maybe able to get a phone in activation or some other means to get it running offline.

Basically I wouldn't worry about it too much, that time will probably be so far off that there will be something better by then. If not, there will probably be a way to get your older OS and FSX up and running again by some means. If there was to be no other sim around the corner, as large as the sim community is, there will probably be someone or some group of people who can get it working by some means necessary.

Just the other day I read a post on Avsim from a guy who just installed FS98 on Win 7 and got it to work. Here's the link http://forum.avsim.net/topic/322147-running-fs98/

You never know, after 2012, the flight sim maybe the last thing on our minds, if were even still here, lol :-)

The future becomes the present and receeds into the past. So it will always be, as it should.

Profound indeed!

I have an original PONG game.  Some of you will remember it!  Yawn, that pace was thrilling.  However, it works and I dare say its a collectors item.  I still recall how mad I got at my mother when she throw away (while I was off at university) all my childhood "baseball" cards.  Some of those cards were original rookie cards for guys like Mickey Mantle, she had no idea that they were worth a fortune to collectors.

So, getting to the point.  I also have a complete working ATARI gaming system with plug in game cartridges that goes back to the beginning of the 1980's, you know pacman, missle command, shamus, donkey kong etc.  My kids think this stuff is fantastic (they are 30 years old).  That should send a message to some who care about this sort of thing.  That old flightsim system and the hardware to run it are actually collectors items, and again if you care, can be fun to bring out and "remember the old days".  And someone out there might actually want to buy if from you for $$.

I have three 8mm movie projectors fully functional, with extra bulbs, just go ahead and try to find one of these (although you can buy new ones from some places on the planet for big bucks) and ask you neighbour what they intend to do with all those family 8mm movies?  I am running a small home business converting those 8mm movies into digital.

One way of other there is money in that old stuff.

Speaking of FS98, I have a Pentium 100 with Win95/DOS6 just for FS98 and the original Golden Wings. It is very dusty but I still have it :)

I wish I had kept my old Pentium. I moved a few times so had to downsize. I had a Fly-It General Aviation panel pluged into that with an EPIC Controller. Looked like this:

Posted Image

That thing was cool back in those days. Had a lot of fun with it.  ;D

Archived