YSCB Patch?

Aidan Sandri

Hmm

After the release Huge you said you was "working on it " to the reports of poor fps, but from the reply above its seems that has not been the case and its now on some "to do" list some time....

Disappointing to here as its the perfect airport to fly to and from the amazing good fps YMML.

YCNK update sound great as its my personal fav GA airport in AUS, but the performance boost to YSCB would have been the one I wished for the most.

This is great news!!!!

I had no idea a performance patch was being worked on for this airport.

Having just bought AU SP3 and the other airports in my sig a few weeks ago during the sale, I have found that YSCB absolutely kills the FPS when I am around it, which is hard for me to understand considering that its such a small airport with not much around it. I can fly into Cairns with almost all the options clicked and in the PMDG 747 and maintain around 25 FPS, but doing the same at YSCB gives me around 14 FPS, and thats will all the options turned off. Not saying that I would be flying into that airport in the PMDG 747, but its generally the plane I use to test airports since its probably the most demanding plane on FPS that I own. Once I get an airport to work well with it, I can be assured I will get good FPS with everything else in my hanger.

I was doing some tinkering last night with the texture files of YSCB and found some really big texture files, that once I opened, were 32bit. If I remeber right they were the ones ending in BIG_Bump and BIG_Spec Once, as well as 2 other reflection files. I converted them to DXT5 and it cut the size down and seemed to improve the texture loading a bit and maybe made it a little smoother. I think that until the patch comes out I will continue to tinker with the textures and try resizing some of the 2048's to 1024's in DXT format and see if that improves things on my rig. Personally, when I have done this in the past with other airports, the difference in clarity from a 2048 to 1024 texture is barley noticable, at least to me its not. I'm not sure if I can gain more FPS by reducing the texture sizes, but it may help a little until a formal patch is released.

I have also noticed that when on approach to either runway 17 or 35, I cant remember which runway it is since I am not on the sim at the moment, but its when the city is off to the left on approach, there are some buildings that have flickering or flashing roofs that can be seen off to the left side. One of them has a red roof and I can see it flickering when I am about 2 miles out on approach. Not sure if its missing an alpha channel or something else is wrong with it, but its definately noticable and I can provide a screen shot of the buildings that do this if desired.

Here are the shots of some of the buildings I was talking about. There are actually a few more in the same area where I took these. It was hard to capture all of them when they were flickering, but in some pics you can see the buildings showing a texture bleed thru on the roofs. I circled the buildings and put a red arrow next to the circle to make it easier to find since the circles in red are kind of hard to see.

I also included a pic showing which textures I converted to DXT5 from 32bit which helped with the performance a little.

Posted Image

Frankly, I think there are larger problems than just the flickering buildings and the few 32bit textures. Considering that the airport is not very large and there isn't a large city scape near it, Iwould expect to get FPS in the 20's and 30's like I do at other larger ORBX hubs and for that matter other large hubs like FSDT's KDFW where I can maintain FPS in the high 20's to low 30's with the PMDG 747.

Anyways, I hope the pics help. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Regards

PS- When you click to open them, click on them again to see them in full size to make it easier to see the red circles.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hi guys,

about the pictures of the real estate area (Fyshwick), some default models have been used, and those have a little percentage of flickering. Due to the massive presence of particular buildings or sheds, and their shapes, it wasn't so easy to choose those that fit exactly the footprints. Anyway, using well the filters, the flickering is reduced almost to zero, at least on my machine. Some of the them flickers the same at some angles, so not in any direction.

About the performances, cityscape Canberra is well under control and grants 20 - 35 fps with autogen set on extremely dense (a setting where you see each footprint of the photoreal filled by trees and houses in the exact position). This is possible because the optimized libraries and the trees placed one by one. The area you have around the airport could seem little but it's not, and the autogen has been made with this system. Houses and trees one by one. It's the best system to grant to the airport the maximum of resources available, also because the level of the autogen can be modified along your need and the power of your machine. The project has been thought so that the two sceneries can go togheter well. Think that the machine i use to develop the scenery is not particularly powerful respect the new processors, but i can run the scenery very well and without problems. Consider also that a metropolis like that requires an incredible amount of autogen, composed in part of custom modeled buildings or not conventional buildings (the default ones, but used in the proper way to fill the footprint).

I am looking forward to this patch if its possible, its the only Orbx airport which is virtually unflyable for me, even with all the CP options off and sensible recommended settings within FSX its very poor performance.  I have even set the Autogen to very sparse to experiment and had no gain in performance what so ever.  I don't know whats going on to cause this performance issue because even YBBN with decent much higher settings wipe the floor with this average sized airport.  I love Canberra too but I'm always dissapointed flying there atm because of this issue.  If this could be sorted or improved, its definately an airport that I would use on a very regular basis.  Thanks for looking into this one Hugh, its such a masterpiece and I know alot of users are waiting with eager eyes me included to hear of a performace patch being completed for this one.  Good luck in your findings Hugh :).

Kind regards

Jimmy

Like all the new things, and this is a new thing, because you have a very hi-detailed airport, plus a large photoreal around with a not conventional autogen, maybe there is something to tune. Anyway i started the develop of the cityscape beeing sure that a combo of the two sceneries is possible and enjoyable, and not only in my mind, because i made experience in another area already. When you will have the two sceneries togheter it will be for sure a nice experience  ;) I agree with you that YSCB is a masterpiece for so real it is. And for me, that i already have more the half city covered, this always gives me an emotion when i fly ablove it  :D

• 5 weeks later...

G'day All

Just wondering if the patch will incorporate the the new terminal and other completed works around the airport?

Cheers

Not in the short term, because we licensed imagery from Aerometrex who have not refreshed their data yet. If we do an update we'd have to synthetically create the ground imagery, and that's likely to be in a later update Hugh will do.

Hi Youngie,

No it won't. The reason is there is way to much work for me to justify it. I would have to redo the ground polys, photoreal and create the new terminal which is a hell of a lot of work. In saying that I would really like to do it once the whole terminal is complete so we will see what happens down the track.

Archived