Want an FPS increase? Try this tweak I forgot to add to the manual ....

John Venema

In the FTX User Guide for AU BLUE/GOLD, on page 7 I mention to disable scenery ground shadows. This was mainly due to the square shadows which you'll see when our FTX vector roads are displayed with trees attached, so that advice still applies.

However there is one tweak I did not mention in the manual, and I find this gives me a remarkable performance improvement.

In the SETTINGS | DISPLAY | AIRCRAFT tab disable the following two options:

[ ] Aircraft casts shadows on the ground

[ ] Aircraft casts shadows on itself

Give this a try and watch your frames increase substantially. My personal opinion is that a lot of the FTX ground textures and indeed a lot of our airports have faux shadows built into the textures anyway, so you won't be losing too much visual quality. But the biggest FPS killer is Aircraft casts shadows on the ground - you will be surprised how much smoother the sim is with this turned off.

I'd be curious to see if this works for you as well as it does for me.

Hi John,

Yeah, makes a big difference. Shadows always seem to eat up performance. I recall this issue from earlier versions of FS.

A lot of other games/apps can benefit from shadows off as well.

Cheers

MC

Agreed. I always fly with 'ground shadows' and 'Aircraft casts shadows on itself' disabled. But... 'Aircraft casts shadows on the ground' i see as a must have. Looks very dull without and a performance drop isn't noticeable with my system.

I agree Mango that aircraft shadow on the ground are desirable, but the performance hit is very noticeable, which is why I'm posting this for people who want to get some extra FPS; and in this case it's a lot of FPS and smoothness. I also agree that it looks very dull, particularly while we've been testing YMML - turning aircraft shadows on really adds to the immersion for all the parked aircraft. But again, with it off there is a notice jump in smoothness.  It's a personal choice I guess.

I'll assume them (from reading the above posts) that gains will only really be seen if there are a number of aircraft casting shadows. ie. if you were playing at being the flying doctor in the outback then you'd probably not notice a difference?

I'll assume them (from reading the above posts) that gains will only really be seen if there are a number of aircraft casting shadows. ie. if you were playing at being the flying doctor in the outback then you'd probably not notice a difference?

Load up YMLT in the ultralight and spot view with aircraft casting shadows. Do a circuit of the airport. Now turn the shadows off. Report back ;)

Archived