New system just for FTX

Kilstorm

I'm buying a new system for 3 reasons, two of which are because of FTX.

Heres whats coming.  Its being built by CyberpowerPC and I'm paying them to OC my system  (the CPU by greater than 20% so at least almost 3.7gig)  Here the main parts of the system.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAS: Thermaltake Armor A60 Gaming Mid-Tower Case with SideClick EasySwap and SSD Support

CPU: Intel® Coreâ„¢ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366

FAN: XtremeGear Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

HDD: 240GB Corsair Force 240 Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive)

MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair Dominator )

MOTHERBOARD: * (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durableâ„¢3 Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Dolby Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, IEEE1394a, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

OVERCLOCK: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more)

POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB 16X PCIe Video Card (EVGA Superclocked )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 3 reasons why I'm getting the new machine is because I've started getting Window warnings saying my current HD is about crap the bed an I should back up my stuff.  Figure I will buy a new HD and make this a great non-FS computer.

The two reasons of FTX is that I've ran out of space for my FTX software (have a 150gig rapitor) and because I want really enjoy all the stuff I own.

I feel this new system should do very well.  I seem to feel the hardware is right and if I can get the CPU up near 4gig, I will have plenty of HD room for all FTX stuff and a system that can deliver on the visuals and performance.

I just want to be able to run it at 25fps locked and have sliders up fairly high and enjoy places like YBBN and such.

The Video card already comes clocked at 797Mhz and the SSD

Thats a relief.  No sooner did I make that post did I just read the post about the Sandy Beach CPU and was like Oh come on!  But as long as this system can run FS with a good amount of eye candy and get a solid 25 frames I will be nore than happy.  Plus I cant wait to see how fast these SSD drives are at loading stuff.  Im getting old and I'm tired of spending a huge portion of my life waiting of stuff to load.

Being a computer illiterate dont take any notice of what I say !  :P  ...but wouldn't it be better to wait a couple of months for the sandy bridge ?

The piont of this response is to say I had a warning of a pending disk failure so I backed everything up in triplicate . That was a long time ago now and Im still on the same disk . Going just as good/bad as it ever was .

I think you would need a 1000W PSU to overclock the CPU to 4Ghz.

I´m very close to 4 gigz using 850 W, so you should be ok. Clocking more extremely could however be a challenge, but it has a lot to do with the actual quality of the psu. It should in my opinion at least have a bronze medal.

Kilstorm, I´d really like to hear how FSX will perform with the whole shabang on a single SSD. Keep us posted! Happy building 8)

Bjorn

Archived