Follow my ride around Australia in FSX or FS9

John Dow

Hi all

I am currently cycling around Australia with a mate from Canberra to Canberra finishing in December which makes over 7 months on the road.  Each day we cycle between 70 and 125km, and since May 1st we have pedalled over 3600km and we are in Cairns ready to head westwards across thge Atherton tablelands.

It occurred to me as I was cycling along the other day that it would be a great way to see Australia as we are doing by duplicating our trip in FTX and or FS9 in something low and slow such as the Piper Cub.  You could visit the places we have vsited and land either at the nearest airfield or in a suitable paddock nearby.  Most legs would be less than a half hour flight even in the Cub I imagine.

If you would like to have a go, you can see the details of each day's ride at www.ausbycycle.com, which gives the daily start and finish points.  You might need to go to Google maps or similar to find the towns we have stopped at, and you might need to guess the roads we took to get there, but you can be sure that we would normally be going by the most direct major or minor sealed road, minor roads being the preference but not always the best option.

A lot of the towns won't have an airstrip in FS, so a slow plane that can land in a paddock and take off again would be a must.

It's only rarely that I get on the net so I won't know if anyone has decided to accept my challenge, unless you email me at jrd at mycanberra dot com dot au.  I will be happy to fill in any details of our route if requested, though a reply might take a few days, especially when we're west of Mount Isa!

Happy simming to you all

John

On the road!

G'day John,

Great idea  :)

I must say I'm more than a little impressed, and also jealous. I cycled 700kms through western Victoria including the Grampians last year and totally enjoyed it. Then when AU Blue came out it was the first place I checked out - flying low and slow. And the beauty was that I could follow each road that I cycled on and re-live the experience.

Cheers,

Andrew

PS - I was thinking after riding 700kms, if I could afford it I'd happily ride 100kms every day instead of working. After travelling 3500km do you feel the same way?

Guest Aussieman

G'day mate, been wondering where you disappeared to. Thought you must have been dragged over to the dark side.

Anyway good luck with your venture mate.

Cheers

Pat

Archived