Glaciers

mervynh

Hi,

NRM keeps up the high standard, thanks. Just a quickie -flying today in Glacier National Park, Montana - no glaciers! In fact no permanent snow/ice in the park at all. I know from googling photos that there is some despite global warming and retreat - on Kintla peak in particular. UTX USA has a reasonable representation in this area. An oversight? or lack of data? or copyright issues as UTX already utilises the data source?

Mervyn

Hi Mervyn,

good points. We've debated how to deal wih those "glaciers" in the US. They are too small to be represented well by our photoreal approach using medium-resolution Landsat imagery. However, when we used ice-textured polygons for the snowfields, like UTX does, our testers felt that the sharp edges and contrast to the surrounding rock looked too artificial and thus we removed them again.

I'll have another look though because there might be a way to utilize 1-m NAIP imagery for those snowfields and blend them into our generic rock textures.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

I understand the problem - how does the snow and ice get onto the fall season version. Would something similar work for summer?

I have now flown to the other end of the NRM scenery and have been flying around Mt Robson. Nice photoreal glacier on the southeast side, but the smaller ones on the northeast, falling into Berg lake http://www.claviantica.com/personal_files/Screen_savers_files/Mt%20Robson%20from%20Berg%20Lake.bmp are missing (see my pic). Same problem I suppose.

Posted Image

Mervyn

Archived